Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 09:36 PM   #1

Default battery disconnect/ no power

Hello all,

My wife and I are very happy new owners of a used 2008 fun finder extra M-200. It is a used unit and has it's things we are having to work on.

Currently, I am trying to figure out why the brand new battery won't work. Everything works when connected to our tow vehicle or shore power, but nothing works when connected to the new battery.

I've done some reading already and have come across a battery disconnect switch, but don't know where that is located. Any advice on where it might be on my unit? I'm thinking that this might be a simple solution.

I'm also now confused as some of the older posts mention the different color wires and how to connect them to the battery. My unit has one solid black wire and then a 2nd wire that has black and white. Can someone confirm how these are to be attached to the battery?

I just purchased some replacement 30 amp fuses as the one closest to the battery looked a bit worn. I thought this might be the culprit but Ill be able to confirm this tomorrow.

any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

tsubeta04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:56 PM   #2

Do you have a control panel with rocker switches? If so, there may be a pullout knob on that panel -- push it in to disconnect the battery, out to connect.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:16 AM   #3

no control panel to speak of
Old 04-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #4

my main battery pullout knob is in the front left storage compartment accessbile from the outside.
generh6957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:51 AM   #5

Camper/RV battery wires are color coded similar to a building ~ not the way vehicles battery wires are color coded.

Black is positive.
White is negative.

The positive cable on your trailer should have an inline fuse. The negative cable will not be fused.

Also as a secondary reminder, I put some red tape around the black cable as a hint it's to be connected to the positive battery post.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #6

Our first Fun Finder was a 2007 189 FBR. It had no disconnect other than the inline fuse near the battery. A friend had a 2009 189 FBR and it had a disconnect in the passthru storage as mentioned by gererh6957. Hope this helps, Happy camping!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

Hi tsubeta04, welcome to the Forum...
I have a 2008 Cruiser FF XT-190 and my battery disconnect switch is in the left (street side) outside storage locker... it is a pull out for on and push in for off switch.

Good luck and Happy Camping...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #8

We have a 2008 model as well and our battery disconnect is located in the bottom cabinet to the left of the sink. It's a little back box with a pull / push knob located in the front of it. If you pull it towards you it connects to your battery and if you push it in it disconnects the battery. Attached is a picture of what it looks like, hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
20160327_092639.jpg  
TX Harley Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #9

Hi Harley,
Your unit looks the same as mine... just located in a different spot... Ya gotta love it...

Old 04-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #10

Seems like its always as close to the battery as it can be based on the model of trailer which makes sense I guess.
TX Harley Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Harley Rider View Post
Seems like its always as close to the battery as it can be based on the model of trailer which makes sense I guess.
That's really the best location... as close to the battery as practicable. This lessens the distance of potential wiring issues and the switch needs to be in the circuit before the converter or inverter as the case may be...

I have a converter w/built-in battery charger and now two grp-31 Deep Cycle Batteries (850 cca each), which should give me enough battery power to last a week, unless the Heater runs a lot. I have little need for an inverter... The only things that use only 120 vac only, are the A/C and Microwave; and I can do without these... use the stove or grill in lieu of the Mic and if it is so hot you can't do without the A/C, and there isn't shore power, I'll move... I also carry a small Coleman genny (1800 watts peak) that's very quiet and a 10 amp charger to charge the bats if need be...

Old 05-30-2016, 09:31 PM   #12

VERY APPRECIATIVE of all this great info.

Due to several reasons, we have not been able to follow up on this thread and our issue. We were just able to have our first trip in the toy hauler this past weekend and boy were we glad we did the shake down trip prior to leaving for the summer this next week. Found several little things that we fixed, just wished I had checked the responses on this forum quicker.

I'll check for a battery disconnect this week and hopefully that fixes it.

any chance anyone with this specific model (Xtra M-200) can share where the disconnect battery switch is?

again, much obliged!
Old 05-31-2016, 04:14 PM   #13

VERY HAPPY to report back this afternoon that I found the switch and it was the culprit. As stated earlier, it was located in the bottom cabinet closest to the restroom. so glad this is resolved.

Now onto installing the electric tongue jack and WDH.

thanks!
Old 05-31-2016, 10:03 PM   #14

Great news!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #15

Glad to hear problem solved! It always feels good to find the solution and move on. As for the electric tongue jack here is my experience. Our current FF came equipped w/electric jack which we used and appreciated, but on Memorial Day trip it started acting up and took extra effort to get it to work though it eventually did. Got home yesterday and opened it up to find moisture damage/corrosion even though it appeared to be well sealed. Opted to go with manual jack at $30 instead of replacement elec. at $200. That said I'm not anti electric and I may go back to one in the future, but in researching I see electric jack covers available for about $10 and I think I would use one for an extra level of protection. Thanks for sharing and happy camping!
Old 06-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by retelect View Post
Glad to hear problem solved! It always feels good to find the solution and move on. As for the electric tongue jack here is my experience. Our current FF came equipped w/electric jack which we used and appreciated, but on Memorial Day trip it started acting up and took extra effort to get it to work though it eventually did. Got home yesterday and opened it up to find moisture damage/corrosion even though it appeared to be well sealed. Opted to go with manual jack at $30 instead of replacement elec. at $200. That said I'm not anti electric and I may go back to one in the future, but in researching I see electric jack covers available for about $10 and I think I would use one for an extra level of protection. Thanks for sharing and happy camping!
I've read about that same concern before. I went with this one from amazon, Jack Quick 3500. Cost 116.00 and came with a cover; I'm hoping it lasts. Going from a small 2,600lb camper to our toy hauler was noticeably tougher to jack up or down. The wife took care of that in our smaller trailer, but because this one is much heavier, I ended up doing it. Now she can just use the button.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #17

I'll look into the Jack Quick. My wife also used to take care of the jack but now with the manual, well, we'll see.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #18

Upgraded from popup to an Outback 21rs in 2004. First time out it was over 100*. After unhook and hookup in those temps went straight to Camping World and got electric jack. Also got a cover for it. Hand cranking is not something I am going to do again lol.
jtwcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #19

I have a solution to the hand cranking problem -- my wife insists on doing it! She says that she craves "big muscle" tasks after sitting in the passenger seat all day. So I reluctantly allow her to crank the jack and all four stabilizers, while I supervise.

I'm 6'3", she is 5'1", and we get some mighty funny looks from the neighbors in the campground.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #20

Default Same Problem With My 2016 Shadow Cruiser

My battery registers 12.7 but nothing in my unit works unless I plug into the house. I did blow the fuse by connecting the terminals backwards. In my entire 68 years, black has always been negative!

The battery worked last summer. I don't know how a disconnect switch would have been touched. It was at the dealer's for inspection in December.

The fuse is replaced. Still no power from the battery. My dealer claims there are red switches. All I see is a junction box. When the rain stops, I'll look in there.

2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost
https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...psrtdivxrb.jpg
harryshoe is offline   Reply With Quote