Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #1

Default Battery Monitor

I purchased a BM2 battery monitor to hook up to my camper battery. I dry camp a lot and use a solar panel to keep the battery charged. I wanted something easy to use to check battery state. I am not interested in power in or power out of the battery. I just wanted to know if it was dead or not.

I bought one of the BM2 blue tooth battery monitors to try out. I have not hooked it up to my camper yet, but will this weekend.

In the mean time I hooked it up to my car, which it what it is meant for, to try it out. I am impressed with how it works and the information it provides. It gives a pretty good diagnostic of the car's charging system.

The fact that it will maintain a month's worth of data with out being near the phone is great. I do not get to my camper every weekend. In fact I have not been there in a month. Being able to see what happened when I was gone should be interesting.

I will put it on my camper this weekend and follow up after it has been on for a few weeks.

If you're a gadget nerd like I am check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/QUICKLYNKS-Ba...01MT4583U?th=1

Not me. But shows how it works.

team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #2

Not exactly the same but installed one similar to this in my unit .. just tapped into a 12 volt line in the camper and mounted it on a wall by the front door. Easy to glance at when entering.

https://www.amazon.com/WATERWICH-DC1...852933&sr=8-15

Old 10-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #3

That looks like a decent meter. Just doesn't keep history.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #4

Just an Update. It has been a few weeks since I put this on my camper. I can say it works really nice. I can go trough the history and can tell when it is daytime and night time. The voltage goes up during the day as the solar panel charges the battery and drops and stays steady during the night. I could see the voltage drop when the furnace fan runs the two nights I camped. Not a bad little unit.

The camper is too far from the house to get signal all the time. But when I walk the dog I get close enough that it syncs the data from the time I went by. The unit will keep 30 days worth on its own.

You can see the pattern of when the heater kicked on. then at 9 am you can see when generator was on charging the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2019-11-07-08-47-26.jpg  
Old 11-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #5

That's a great device -- thanks for the info!

I'm displaying my ignorance here, but are you concerned that the state of charge is dipping under 12 volts in the early morning? I have been told that a deep cycle battery should not be allowed below 12.1 v, or a 50 percent state of charge. Otherwise, the battery could be damaged.

But I have no idea if that info is accurate -- my guess is that you know more about this stuff than I do!!
Old 11-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
I'm displaying my ignorance here, but are you concerned that the state of charge is dipping under 12 volts in the early morning? )
Nope. There is nothing I can do about it. The fan on the furnace draws a ton of power. If I want to keep warm at night I have to run the furnace. The most I have gone is two days with out recharging the battery. I will run the Generator after two nights. If I only run the furnace one night I will let the solar panel charge the battery during the week. It will be fully charged the next weekend.