Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2009, 03:53 AM   #1

Default Battery questions - new to camping

Since the owner's manuals are largely useless, here's a silly question:

After I use my camper (which I did just for the first time--great!) do I have to remove the battery to charge it, or will it charge off of my home's electricity if I plug the camper in?

Thanks.

FFX160_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:45 AM   #2

You can remove it if you want. I personally don't as I head out camping almost every weekend, and just plug it into the house a couple days beforehand.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #3

RV batteries are deep cycle batteries and they can be damaged if the battery completely discharges and sits for a period of time. To remove the battery or not depends on a couple things, like how long will the trailer be sitting, what kind of weather is it exposed to. If the trailer will be sitting unused for a month or more, especially in extreme cold or heat, it would be better to remove the battery and store it where it is not directly exposed to the elements, and where you can have a trickle charger hooked to it. If you use the trailer every week, or every couple weeks, use the 12 volt power disconnect switch to keep it from discharging compleley and you should be fine. I am not a fan of having the house power hooked to the trailer for long periods unless I am using the trailer, but thats just me!!
Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote