Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2019, 07:36 AM   #1

Default battery tray - location & access

So, on my X160 I can't easily access the spot where my 12V batteries are located (and, of course--batteries have only gotten larger over the years). I don't store my camper at the house, so I must constantly swap out charged batteries. I have some shoulder and bicep injuries, so I'm looking for a better way. (The propane tank takes up a lot of room on the A frame.) Any ideas? (I don't want to go the 6V battery route.) I've researched some aluminum trays that could probably be U-bolted on, but most are too wide for the location (which abuts up against the diamond plating). I do have solar panels, but one can never rely solely on that. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #2

Why don't you charge battery with your solar panels.
No need to swap out.
I put a strap on my battery makes taking out easier
Maybe cut off side of battery box so it slides out and reattach with hinge and or L bracket of some sort.

2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #3

So - where is/are your batteries currently located? Stock location behind the propane tank; sounds like you're describing between the tank and front of the camper? Or have they been relocated? Is wiring/rewiring going to be an issue if you move them too far? What type of 12V batteries are you using (lead acid, AGM-maintenance free, or something else)? I've heard of some people relocating them to under the bed (if there's storage under there) but only if it's a sealed battery. Otherwise you might just sit the battery on a elevated tray (cinder blocks/plywood top) right next to the A-frame (assuming connections will reach). Easy access while you're stored, then just put them in their regular spot when you go on the road?
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #4

Thanks FourFourto. Oh, re. why not just Solar charge exclusively? I only go out around once per month and I don't store the FF at the house. Since I dry camp almost exclusively, I have to have power when I get there, so I have no choice but remove and charge at home. (They are portable panels, not permanently affixed.) That's a good point re. an open side hinge though. I also found a narrow Kobalt tool box at Lowe's that I might buy 70"L x 13" W x 14" H. I will go measure my space this weekend.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #5

Thanks runner421, the battery is located up against the front of the camper against the diamond plate, and the propane tank is closest to the A part of the frame. I can't move the battery location--the wires aren't long enough (and I already rewired once). There is not much room to work with on my 2007 X160! I found a narrow Kobalt tool box at Lowe's online that might work. It's 70"L x 13" W x 14" H. I will go measure my A frame and the layout this weekend. I'm thinking of U bolting it on, but I have to make sure it can take the weight. My plan would be to "mount" two batteries at each "end" of the box (lengthwise) to counter balance the weight. (I could always put a two by four at the bottom, space permitting.) This way, I could get at the batteries much easier than the tiny cramped space I currently have.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #6

I also found a narrow Kobalt tool box at Lowe's that I might buy 70"L x 13" W x 14" H. I will go measure my space this weekend.

If you are putting a couple batteries in it sounds like a good idea

2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote