Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #1

Default battery use

We j ust picked up our 07 Cikira 18FB. It has one battery and while we used to have a pop up and used the battery sparingly while dry camping, I"m wondering how long the battery will last w/ this much larger unit when not hooked up to electric. Things like running the radio/CD player, or if we put in a TV and have it on for a few hours. Beyond lights and the need to get/keep the frig and HWH going w/ a spark for the LP, furnance as needed, what other things should we keep in mind to conserve battery charge, say for a few days? I know there are formulas and amp drawing estimates for appliances and a battery will have certain avg amp hours rating. But a general idea would be good as we're heading out for a 3 day weekend soon and if it makes sense to buy an extra battery and charge it up to take along, I will. I keep reading that once a battery is down 50% its basically done and for some types may actually damage in some fashion.

Thx.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #2

Welcome,.
Battery life compltely depends on usage. If you are gonna use the tv, radio, lights, it will run dead. (Usually at 4 am).
Don't ask me how I know. Most people that dry camp use as littl eelectricity as possible or a generator.
I've noticed an increase in solar panels at campgounds that I frequent. But I still prefer full hookups.
I'd recommend charging up your battery, travel to your dry campspot, and enjoy your trailer. just check your battery meter often, if it gets down to 1/4 then plug the 7 pin into the truck, start the truck and let it charge for a few minutes.
Whoever told you that a battery is "dead" at 50% doesn't understand what a deep cycle battery is designed for.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #3

Thx. that's what I was going to do, but we're thinking about a Penn State Game next few weeks and w/ no hook ups in the RV lot I'm trying to figure out how to make it last. I may not win many fans if I charge off the SUV.

don't know where I read/heard the 50% thing but it didn't make sense to me either. my problem is I don't yet know what I don't know, but I'm reading and asking questions. Sooner or later it'll sink in.

thx again.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #4

Default battery use

The battery use misinformation about 50% probably came from the fact that automobile batteries have a cold cranking amp rating, usually in the 600 to 1000 amp range. At 0 degrees, the cold cranking amps needed for cold weather car starting is about 50% of the cca rating. And so a battery that is at a 50% charge state has a less than 25% amp level to start your car in cold weather. Therefore, it is practically useless.

All that info has almost nothing to do with deep cycle batteries. Automobile batteries that are completely discharged and recharged for several cycles are usually ruined. Deep cycle batteries on the other hand are built and designed for deep charge and discharge cycles and will remain useful for many years of such use. For practical reasons, a deep cycle battery is more useful for us if it is larger (27 series) because it holds more potential charge than a smaller (24 series) battery which is standard equipment in most RV's and boats. Check first to make sure you can fit a 27 series size battery in your space. I have an X139 Funfinder and the larger battery just barely fits into the alotted space on the front hitch. Hope that helps dispel the 50% garbage you have been told. Always buy deep cycle, larger is better, and some brands might hold more (chemical) energy than others. Most battery makers make that information available to potential buyers. I doubt that cold cranking amps is a useful measure for you since you are not likely to be using the battery in below 0 weather.
dmnev is offline   Reply With Quote