Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #1

Default Bearing lube

My Fun Finder is a 2018 and has the E-Z Lube Bearings. I was wondering how to open the hub to access the grease fitting.

RonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #2

After removing the hub cap/center cap (if equipped) and exposing the center of the brake drum, you will see a rubber cover in the middle. Simply remove the rubber cover (push to the side and it will un-center so can be lifted out.
Once the rubber cover is removed, you will see the grease fitting in the center of the hub.

BE SURE to lift the wheel off the ground so you can turn the wheel/hub assembly as you pump in the grease. When fresh grease is seen squishing out, you can quit adding grease.

The first time lubing the E-Z lube hubs, it will take quite a bit of grease to fill the void inside the center of the hub as only the bearings have some lube on them from the factory.

Here is a YouTube video:

Old 07-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #3

You can grease the hub with the wheel on or off. In either case, the wheel or drum will need to be jacked up in order to rotate it as you pump in grease. If you do it with the wheel on, you should have a can shaped decorative hub in the center that you can gentally prey off the cap to show the real hub. Otherwise you can remove the entire wheel to show the drum and hub. On the hub there is a rubber end cap plug that needs to be removed to expose the grease zert. As you pump in grease, old grease will come out around the zert. I generally pump in enough grease to see the same color come out. Good luck.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:33 PM   #4

I'm a chicken -- although I am an avid do-it-myselfer, I take my trailer to my mechanic once a year for repacking the bearings and checking the brakes. It does not cost a lot, and I have peace of mind, knowing that someone who knows what to look for has taken a look.

Last year, he saw wear on a bearing and told me to replace them. I would never have known what to look for.

And in case you are wondering, this guy is scrupulously honest -- often, I will go to the dealership for warranty work and they will say "you should also fix X,Y, and Z."

I then bring it to him and he usually refuses to do the "necessary" repairs, even though I would never know that the repairs were needless. Great guy. (Very successful, too, as you might imagine.)
Old 07-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #5

Agree with above if one is not mechanically inclined, trained/educated in mechanics and/or worked as a mechanic, best leave it to those who are.

Growing up on a farm, learned at an early age to operate, maintain and repair equipment and become a jack of all trades. That and education/training/certification, licensed & professional employment in multiple vocations has served me well in life....but certainly don't know everything.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:55 AM   #6

Service video by DEXTER

Old 07-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #7

The next important question is what grease to use?

Wheel-bearing grease can be made with two bases: lithium and sodium.
Never mix the two as they do not work together.

If you don’t know which is already in the axle bearings, you have no alternative but to disassemble, clean and repack the bearing so you will then know for sure which grease to use.

Personally, I use Mobile 1 a lithium based grease.
https://mobiloil.com/en/synthetic-gr...nthetic-grease

Lucas red & tacky, a lithium based grease is great too.
https://lucasoil.com/products/grease/red-n-tacky-grease
Old 07-12-2019, 11:22 PM   #8

I use red & tacky exclusively. When I did my first greasing, I pumped about half a tube in each axle to remove the old black grease. Every year after, I pump about a quarter tube in each axle.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #9

Thanks. I saw that but wasn't sure if my wheels needed just the end cap removed or the whole center cone. Turn out, just the end cap.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #10

Thanks. That's what I needed to know. The end cap gets pride off.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #11

The RV place quoted me $250 to do the four sets of bearings. Maybe that's what I'll do every second or third year.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:15 AM   #12

Growing up we learned to do everything ourselves. Heck, we used to pull the wheels off our cars and hand pack the bearings every year. It kills me to pay for what I can do myself- but I'm getting better here in retirement.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #13

Thanks. I went with the Red & Tacky.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #14

I went with the Red & Tacky too. I pumped a whole tube through each (maybe overboard but it's only a few bucks.) It will be interesting to see if a quarter tube each works for me next year.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
Growing up we learned to do everything ourselves. Heck, we used to pull the wheels off our cars and hand pack the bearings every year. It kills me to pay for what I can do myself- but I'm getting better here in retirement.
My father always said: "Never pay someone for what you can do yourself."

That has worked well for me.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
The RV place quoted me $250 to do the four sets of bearings. Maybe that's what I'll do every second or third year.
That is a super rip off price IMO! Even $100 would be an expensive rate.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #17
APD

Talking

$250? That seems a little steep. Not much material/parts involved and (even at .5 hrs per wheel) not much labor either. My guess would be a flat $100 per axle, with $25 shop fee and $25 environmental charge is their pricing.
I pull mine every other spring for inspection and repack but use the zerk fitting the other times.
I'm a red and tacky guy too.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #18

Wow! Thanks for posting the video. I ordered a case of Mobil 1 grease (~$6 per tube) so I could use 1 per wheel (recommended for flushing out old grease). Glad I got the highly rated Alemite 500E grease gun as the project was simple after I removed the wheels (mine has the center caps that go on from the inside of the rim).
Mine is 3 years old but probably under 5K miles. The old grease showed some liquid separation.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboFunFinder View Post
Wow! Thanks for posting the video. I ordered a case of Mobil 1 grease (~$6 per tube) so I could use 1 per wheel (rec0ommended for flushing out old grease). Glad I got the highly rated Alemite 500E grease gun as the project was simple after I removed the wheels (mine has the center caps that go on from the inside of the rim).
Mine is 3 years old but probably under 5K miles. The old grease showed some liquid separation.
Yep, easy lubs hubs are the only way to go. To be frank, as long as I lub ever year, I will probably never inspect the bearings unless I get heat build up in the hubs and/or noise.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #20

The method of supporting the trailer at the frame looked very dangerous to me so I used a floor jack with a curved piece of wood molding which fit the arc of the axle tube. I did the wheel bearings one at a time and used Mobil 1 synthetic grease. One of my rubber seals had popped loose from the end cap and some of the original grease had leaked out. Everything is fresh now!

Tags
bearings grease lube