Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 04:03 AM   #1

Default brake cable to trailer

So, it looks like one of the neighborhood kids dislodged my brake cable (roaming basketball, soccer ball???) Can anyone upload a picture as to where/what it's supposed to attach to under the trailer?

Thanks

Old 06-29-2016, 05:25 AM   #2

Somehow mine was ripped while traveling. I replaced it with this one recommended by George. I snipped the ripped wire off, leaving the attached loop. Then I connected the key-ring side of the new cable to the loop.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #3

Thank you Michelle!
Old 06-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #4

I'm not sure if it's proper, but the cable from the break away switch was threaded thru the chain links by the dealer. The cable is much longer than the chain so seem like unless the chain brakes, the break away switch would never activate to apply the camper brakes.

:-O
Old 06-29-2016, 11:26 PM   #5

Mine was set up that way too. Good point!
Old 06-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I'm not sure if it's proper, but the cable from the break away switch was threaded thru the chain links by the dealer. The cable is much longer than the chain so seem like unless the chain brakes, the break away switch would never activate to apply the camper brakes.

:-O
That's correct. If the chain doesn't break or come disconnected from the tow vehicle you don't want the trailer brakes applied. You can do that with the brake pedal or the controller switch as the power cord would still be connected. It's when the trailer becomes separated from the tow vehicle that the trailer brakes should be applied.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
That's correct. If the chain doesn't break or come disconnected from the tow vehicle you don't want the trailer brakes applied. You can do that with the brake pedal or the controller switch as the power cord would still be connected. It's when the trailer becomes separated from the tow vehicle that the trailer brakes should be applied.

Of course that is correct. Apparently I was having a "senior moment"
Old 06-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #8
APD

The chances of the safety chains breaking or (both) coming loose, I believe, are slim compared to the chances of a hitch failure. At least with only a 2000# trailer.
I set up my break-away cable to be slightly shorter than the safety chains. If the hitch comes away from the ball I would like for the brakes to apply on the trailer. I don't believe the chains would give way and a suddenly loose but still attached trailer would be a hand full.
Hopefully, in the event of such a emergency, the trailer brakes would apply whether the safety chains are still attached or not. I really believe it's the only chance of maintaining control.
Removing a hand from the wheel to apply the trailer brakes and/or stepping on the TV brakes would be shortening my odds of coming to a safe, controlled stop. In fact I would be more likely to step into the throttle since my TV far out weighs my trailer.
That's just my opinion.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #9

On my FF, the breakaway plugs into the switch which is mounted under the right side A-frame ( under where the propane tanks are )

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
APD

Good article here:
Survival School: Preventing Trailer Accidents

As noted in the section under break-awaybrakes:The other major failure associated with this vital safety component involves drivers who don't know how to string the break-away "rip cord." It should be run through an opening on the hitch such as a chain hole, then back to the trailer or to a portion of the chain - long enough to allow the combination to turn without pulling the cable from the actuator, but short enough to pull free from the actuator if the trailer uncouples and the chains pull taught.

Also:
Safety chains, in combination with a proper break-away braking system, will generally keep your trailer in-line behind your tow vehicle and allow you to come to a controlled stop without your trailer flipping over or becoming a deadly missile let loose on the highway. That's not to say that that it won't be a bit unnerving when the trailer comes loose and jerks the chains taught, however if you come to a controlled stop (as opposed to jamming the brakes and getting rear-ended by the trailer) you can usually resolve this emergency with little or no damage to the trailer, your vehicle, and to anyone else on the highway.

My guess is I would need a restroom break.......
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 06-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #11

ADP ~ I have had a trailer come loose from the tow vehicle once.

I was pulling a 14x80 foot manufactured home when the tongue hitch coupler broke. I had just pulled away from a stop sign and was only traveling about 45 MPH. The safety chains held fine and due to the weight of the MH, the IHC tow vehicle was pulled to a stop without ever applying the brakes. There was not even a hint of loss of control although it did leave some nasty gouges in the asphalt.

I understand a camper does not even come close to the weight of a manufactured home however.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
APD

Eagle that sounds like it had the best possible outcome.
I've always believed that experiences like that make a person more safety conscious down the road. It helps to prevent one from becoming complacent even after hitching and unhitching many times. It's like the memory playing in the background kinda thing....

I've towed an enclosed race car trailer many a mile and they were almost always maxed out, weight wise. An "off road" experience I had once helps me to maintain a safer stopping distance nowadays....
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 06-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #13

Yes, a good outcome indeed. I transported manufactured homes for just over 10 years, about 100 homes per year.

There were a few incidents, a couple where the MH brakes failed to function and was 'pushed' faster downhill than was even close to safe.....very scary indeed! Thankful there was only the above one incident of a 'disconnect' experienced.

Agree ~ such things make one more 'safety minded' as got into the habit of checking and doubled checking to assure proper hookup and towed unit lights fully functional.

Safe travels.