Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #1

Default Bubbles Should Only Be In Champagne

After having the front skin replaced a rebuilding the front corner of the passenger side, there was still a bubble under the dinette window that was the result of the passenger skin peeling back while I was taking the trailer to get the skin repaired. The bubble wasn't that bad, and we saw that it was a case of the original adhesive letting go from age and the stress of the skin peeling back. I wanted to try to do the repair myself and I just finished. I drilled 3 holes in the skin and pumped in a goodly amount of 3M Fastbond 30 contact cement. I talked to 3M and they said the adhesive should work fine. I use it everyday in my refacing business, so I'm pretty familiar with it. I let the glue dry overnight and rubbed the skin down this morning. It went down tight and stuck. I then drilled into the wood behind the skin to give the Bondo something to bite on to. I fogged on some white primer and called it done. I also did the horizontal bubble above the storage compartment. I'm going to have the trailer wrapped, so I don't see the need for anything more than another coat of primer at this point. BTW - The bulk of the ripples you see are the result of the skin peeling back at 50 mph. We re-adhered the skin, but some of the ripples just wouldn't flatten out. My only other option was to replace that section of skin and I didn't see the need to spend the extra $.

Jwh92020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:13 AM   #2

Looks great! Good work.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:27 AM   #3

MT - Thank you
Old 11-12-2017, 11:25 PM   #4

I have 2007 14 foot Fun finder and the front area is bubbled, I can't tell if it is water damage or loss of inside adhesive, any suggestions?
lladouceurfelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #5

lladouceurfelio - In my case, the bubbling on the front skin was caused by insufficient adhesive & 11 years of facing directly toward the sun. The bubbles on the passenger side were caused by water intrusion through the front exterior speaker. I had all the wet wood removed and replaced, then re-adhered the skin. There were still some small bubbles that did not flatten out due to the "memory" of the skin. I drilled through the skin and injected contact cement,,let it dry overnight, then rolled it flat. The side looks much better now. I filled the holes with Bondo. For the front, we covered the frame with 1/4" luan, then adhered new skin over the luan. The frame is 2 x 2 sticks. By adding the luan, we gained a much larger and effective surface for the adhesive.