Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #1

Default Bumper Mounted Bike Rack

Anyone with experience using a bike rack mounted on the rear bumper of their trailer?

Watching one go down the highway they look like the mount is precarious and the rack is about to snap off at 70 mph. Do they really hold? It also scares me not being able to see them while driving.

We have the large usual square metal bumper at the rear of our trailer, and there are no other spots where we could possible mount a bike rack. All other locations don't work on our set up.

Any experience, good, bad, ugly.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Site Team

You are right. Lot's of stories about the weight of the bikes twisting the bumper and losing the bikes off the back of the trailer. It can be done, but it requires a hitch securely mounted or welded to the frame of the trailer. The square tube bumper on most trailers is not stout enough to hold the weight of bicycles.
Even with the hitch securely mounted the bikes will still flex and as you mentioned - you can't see them.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
You are right. Lot's of stories about the weight of the bikes twisting the bumper and losing the bikes off the back of the trailer. It can be done, but it requires a hitch securely mounted or welded to the frame of the trailer. The square tube bumper on most trailers is not stout enough to hold the weight of bicycles.
Even with the hitch securely mounted the bikes will still flex and as you mentioned - you can't see them.
Thanks. Kinda what I thought. Its just two bikes, but a real pain to load and unload them into the back of the pick up all the time, with all the other junk we have back there....

I've thought about the ones that mount over top of the propane tanks, but I'm pretty certain there isn't enough room, with the 30 lb tanks and the L-brackets for the Equalizer.....
Old 07-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #4

Any reason you can't put them inside the camper trailer?
Old 07-26-2018, 11:47 PM   #5

After thinking long and hard about how I would transport bikes I decides to use a rack that clamp onto the shank of the hitch. Works great.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Any reason you can't put them inside the camper trailer?
Definitely no room inside. (I can barely fit in my grandson's little bike when he is with us.)
Old 07-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
After thinking long and hard about how I would transport bikes I decides to use a rack that clamp onto the shank of the hitch. Works great.
Unfortunately, because I have an Equalizer installed, there is no room on the shank for that one either. Even w/o it, I don't think there was room without hitting either the tail gate or the tongue jack motor.

*sigh*
Old 07-30-2018, 09:52 PM   #8

I have my bike rack mounted to my extra long drawbar. It is one of those swing-down models, so that I can open my tailgate.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #9

On a previous RV, I learned the hard way. Bikes lasted over 1000 miles, but on the last 5 home they ripped the bracket and dragged down the highway. Thankfully I was due a new bike anyway LOL. Talked to a trailer hitch repair guy and he said essentially you need a full blown hitch at the back of your RV (ie. if you were going to pull a boat behind it) to be able to use a hitch based bike rack. About $1,000 CDN to get done, probably much cheaper in the US.
Mini Schnauzer Bogey
kayaks, mountain bikes, golf clubs, wine fridge
LIFE IS GOOD
gwhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #10

Do a Forum search. There are numerous postings and lots of wisdom regarding how best to secure bikes to the rear of the trailer. For us safety was important enough that we paid a certified welder to mount a cross-frame, class three 2" receiver to the back of our 2012 X189. In addition to bikes, I also used this hefty mount to carry firewood and a fire basin.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:22 PM   #11

I had a welder reinforce our rear bumper with some angle iron and then weld a 2" box receiver to the bumper of our 2008 FF 210 WBS. We've hauled our two bikes on it for over 20,000 miles and never had a problem. I always throw a cable around the spare tire and bikes as a safety precaution and prevent theft while we're parked.
RonCronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #12

I bout a 2" receiver & mounted it to the back bumper of my 214WSD. Then the bike rack fits in it. Bike does move some but with bungees I have never had a problem.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #13

Just be aware that if you do use a hitch mounted bike rack, it is rated for trailer use, not just car use. The reason is that there is more swinging force on a rack behind a trailer than behind a car or truck. You don't want to get your pants sued off if the bikes fall off and cause a accident and they find you didn't use the properly rated rake.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #14

I've used a bike rack on the back of my X-210 WBS ever since I bought it. Before our first trip, I had a long receiver hitch welded to the trailer frame and to the bumper. It is very secure with minimal bounce. It's critical that you not rely on welding or mounting to the bumper alone or it will fail.
colonel gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #15

Thanks for all the info folks.

Looks like welding on a hitch receiver, then mounting bikes on a hitch rack is the way to go. Will likely do this over the winter.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #16

I use a "Bike Bunk" that carries the bikes in front of the trailer. Works great.

Which ever way you go, there is a stiffener collar that you can buy that will keep your bike rack from swaying left and right. You slip it onto the stinger and then tighten a couple of bolts and it holds the whole mess really tight. It stop the slight rotation action that is present in the system. It does not stop forward and back motion.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #17

Default Bike Racks

I mounted a bolt on receiver to the rear bumper of our 225RBS. I use a Yakima Holdup bike rack and have never had any trouble. Our dealer advised me that the bumper was more than strong enough for this purpose and I have had as many as three bikes on the rack at a time (using the Yakima extender) , one of which is a 50 pound plus ebike. Just completed a trip from Salt Lake City up through Vancouver to Whistler to Banff and back. 3500 miles and no issues with the bikes. Have also done many other shorter trips.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
I use a "Bike Bunk" that carries the bikes in front of the trailer. Works great.
Can you please post a link to this product? Because I would love to get one and I'd like to know it was one that would work. Can you access the back of your truck when you have it on?

Liz
Old 08-22-2018, 12:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverRick View Post
Thanks for all the info folks.

Looks like welding on a hitch receiver, then mounting bikes on a hitch rack is the way to go. Will likely do this over the winter.
Hi there ...been off the site for a few (?) months & this post/question was in line with mine a few years ago for our 2012 214 WSD. I'll pull together some pics and write up what we did and has worked very well for our towing with bikes on bumper for many miles and roads. Several folks here have noted similar methods, but I've a few suggestions. The bouncing and torsional twist on the bumper is a huge issue as well as the way the bumper on these was attached, much less the gauge of the square bumper itself. Think I got it all cured with help of a good welding shop and some modifications I made to the installation and mounting of the bikes. A bit of a pain to load, but the mount is very secure and bikes do NOT move! I will try to get back on next week ... making a short trip to visit to #1 grandchild.

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
fischnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post
Can you please post a link to this product? Because I would love to get one and I'd like to know it was one that would work. Can you access the back of your truck when you have it on?

Liz
Sorry for slow reply.... busy busy. Here is the link to the bike bunk.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...on/CC-275.html

Whether you can access the back of your rig with it on depends on the type of bike rack that you put on the bunk and type and number of bikes and the style of your tow rig. In my case, If the bikes are on the rack, I cannot lift by tail gate all the way up...only about half way. It hits the bikes. I can lift it if the bikes are not on the rack or if I remove one bike.

I can also raise the back window up if when the bikes are in place with no problem.

Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote