Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
tim

Default ceiling sag

I have a sag in the ceiling under the ac unit. I just bought a 2005 24 foot funfinder. Never owned a camper trailor before. Is this going to be a big problem.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #2

Could be a problem depending on what is causing the sag... Any of the more likely reasons would give reason to finding the root cause and taking corrective action...

It may be a leaking gasket seal on the A/C unit's condensate drain system and it is causing the inside ceiling panels to seperate from the roof's insulation (foam board) and joists. That would leave your roof basically intact (no real structural damage) and would be easiest to fix.

It may be leaking at the roof membrane mating seams at the A/C's cut out area in the roof. This would be a more serious problem as it might indicate some structural damage in the roof's plywood structure and would be indicated by a corresponding "sag" in the entire A/C unit from the roof's level plane. You can determine that by getting on a ladder and looking at the relationship of the A/C's mounting on the roof...does the roof around the A/C "sag" around the A/C's base?

Either cause would give rise to having the situation looked into before a major repair would be needed...the ceiling and the roof should be level (inside and out) where the A/C sits....

Fortunately, CruiserRV uses welded box tubular aluminum for framing, so, any damage would be to the overlayment (roof plywood) or inside Luan plywood components and not the actual structural members...a real plus in my opinion and one of the "swaying" features in our decision to purchase a FunFinder from CruiserRV

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #3

Not an expert here but I did have a Funfinder 189 with a bad leak. My first line of attack would be to remove the a/c and take a look at the framing. I could be mistaken, but the roof in that year model was wood framing.

Leaks are usually not a good indicator but there are also people who do excellent work on leak and water repairs and at reasonable costs. I would get it checked as soon as possible.
qtla9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #4

You are correct... Framing in 2005's were wood and any leaks would pose a more serious problem than in the 2006 and later aluminum framed models.

With the wood framing and wooden underlayment on the roof, serious repairs could be avoided by early detection and repair. Even with aluminum framing, the wood underlament is susceptable to rot by any water incursions...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #5

2007 was the first year with Aluminum framing. Mine is a 2006 and I had the entire front of the trailer off last year to replace all the rotted wood. The wood was so mushy the entire front fell in while towing it. Very shoddy workmanship. If you have a leak you willl usually see bumps in the panelling first. The "insulation" will act like a sponge soaking up all the water and causing mold to grow. Get it looked at quickly. The longer you wait the worse the damage will be.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #6

Let me know how it works out for you or I will you. My 189 had a bad gasket under the air-conditioning and mine has sag around the ac on top and in the ceiling. I will be taking it apart soon.

Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote