Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #1

Default Chromecast without internet??

Hi all,

You may have noticed that my new TV/ monitor doesn't have any real wires running to it. That's because I bought a Chromecast and figured I could just cast things from my computer and tablet. I have run into a major snag, Chromecast won't work without internet. I even brought a Wi-Fi router thinking that would help, but it doesn't seem to.

Have you managed to make Chromecast work without internet?

Liz

2008​ FunFinder X​ 189FBR & 2014 FORD F150 153 Nights Camping this year
Tons of Creative, Unique and Inexpensive Mods WackyPup.Blogspot.com

PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:55 AM   #2

I don't have Chromecast, but I do have something similar. In my case, I connect the device to my TV & smartphone, as well as to a power source. And yes--since the content is from the internet---I must turn on 4G/data. While parked at home, I use wi-fi.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX160_CT View Post
I don't have Chromecast, but I do have something similar. In my case, I connect the device to my TV & smartphone, as well as to a power source. And yes--since the content is from the internet---I must turn on 4G/data. While parked at home, I use wi-fi.
What similar device do you have? I ask because I am looking at other options and I don't want to buy something else that doesn't work. I want something that will cast from a laptop or a tablet but just using own own wifi, not through the internet I have movies Etc on my tablet. Most of the parks we stay at don't have internet or a phone signal, so we were hoping we could cast our own content to a large monitor or TV.

Thanks,
Liz
Old 11-04-2016, 05:35 PM   #4

I'm confused--if you are just trying to watch movies etc from your computer, all you really need is an HDMI cord. (I can't speak to the tablet portion of this issue.) WiFi would have nothing to do with that. I'll still send you a link to what got, but it's for watching things like Netflix, which means WiFi or data.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX160_CT View Post
I'm confused--if you are just trying to watch movies etc from your computer, all you really need is an HDMI cord. (I can't speak to the tablet portion of this issue.) WiFi would have nothing to do with that. I'll still send you a link to what got, but it's for watching things like Netflix, which means WiFi or data.
Wi-Fi is the ability to connect wirelessly with another computer, tablet, or phone. It is not the same as internet. I have movies that I can download from my library to my tablet. When I leave the library I no longer have internet but if I could cast it to my TV using Chromecast I could see it on a much larger screen. I thought if I had a Wi-Fi router, which creates my own private little Network, Chromecast would work with that. Apparently Chromecast require an internet handshake to connect. The big problem with this, the app that I use to watch downloaded movies will not play downloaded movies if there is internet, it requires you to stream them. Since I don't want to use up all my data streaming a movie, and since most of the time I don't have a phone signal anyway, this is not helpful. If I could find something that would allow me to use my private Wi-Fi network to attach my tablet to my TV this would be fantastic.

So, if I knew what you were using I would know that it would not work that way I need it to and I would not buy it.

Liz
Old 11-05-2016, 04:41 AM   #6

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/99...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

See link above. I got it on Amazon, but it doesn't seem to be available there any longer. I believe things like Chromecast have usurped it. As an aside, I have seen it's equivalent at Radio Shack (for 4-5 times the price that I paid!)
Old 11-05-2016, 05:08 AM   #7

They can still be found--I just did a Google search. Here's a video on the MHL device. Ignore his first phone set up--the second set up he shows is what I use, and likely what you want. You do need an HDMI cable, but you can get those cheap as well.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #8

Yes, unfortunately I think that I am going to have to do something like that. I was hoping that I could make the Chromecast work without internet, but I haven't been able to. I tried the setup of using a phone and turning mobile data off, but as soon as I did so, the Chromecast stopped working. Rats I already spent $35 on the stupid thing, now I have to buy something else. I hate buying things!!

Liz
Old 11-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #9

You should be able to use your router to setup a wireless network without internet. When you first set it up, you may want to do it in your house with internet access so the chromecast cast run any necessary updates. Make sure your chromecast and your laptop can connect to the newly created wireless network. Then, move the router to your camper and connect your laptop and the chromecast to the wireless network. From there, you need an app on your laptop that can "cast" local media and you should be all set.
BatesMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #10

I tried setting up a private wireless network . It works only as long as you have internet. As soon as you don't have internet it doesn't work. I wrote to Google and they wrote back that it is cloud-based and does not work without internet. My son the programmer told me Miracast should work -- like this one --- http://amzn.to/2eAxuQY so, I guess I'm out another 25 bucks. I should have asked him first, but I hate always having to ask him how to do everything LOL

​​Liz

2008​ FunFinder X​ 189FBR & 2014 FORD F150 153 Nights Camping this year
Tons of Creative, Unique and Inexpensive ModsWackyPup.Blogspot.com
Old 11-08-2016, 08:55 AM   #11

Miracast is great but make sure your laptop supports it. Not all devices do. Many of the newer laptops support Miracast but if it is older, likely not. Good Luck!
BatesMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #12

ah, yes, my laptop and phone are old, but I have a new tablet, so maybe that will work thanks for the heads up - I will check it out.

Liz
Old 11-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #13

If you have no internet you cant have Comcast / Roku etc.

If you have a cell phone with an "internet hotspot" that will provide an signal that would work.

SH
hoffmanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #14

Duh I know I can't access the internet if I don't have internet access. I am trying to send stuff that is stored on my phone or tablet to a larger screen. Chromecast requires internet even if you are only trying to stream local content. I bought a little Miracast Dongle, but haven't played with it long enough to figure out if it will work without internet. The little time I did mess with it it was very frustrating. The holidays are here and I think I'm giving up on it until spring LOL. If I ever get something to stream local content without trying to access the internet, I will post and tell you how I did it.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #15

It says $16.77 and 3 available on your link when I click it. Only one review.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chromecast, internet, wi-fi