Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #1

Default Cleaning the underside of the awning

I just cleaned the white underside of the awning again for the 3rd time.

It seems bugs/spiders/ ?? tend to crawl inbetween the wraps when it's rolled up and some die leaving greasy, ugly, black sploches. Also some dirt tends to blow in that makes those spots larger and darker.

The typical 'awning cleaner' isn't very good at cleaning. I've used a stiff nylon broom to scrub the underside, stood on a step ladder with a hand stiff bristle brush and scrubbed every inch of it and tried a high pressure water hose.

All of the above is alot of work. My best success is using 'Super Clean' a degreaser sold at Menards and a brush but it's still lots of work.

Anyone have a better, quicker method?

Old 06-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #2

Mine was looking a little dirty a few weeks ago, so I sprayed the top side with a bleach mixture and while it was still wet rolled it up. I let it sit for 5 minutes or so, unrolled it, hit a couple of spots with the brush and then hosed it off.
My wife was pretty proud of me because i didn't have bleach spots all over my shirt and shorts!

Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #3

Whenever I work with full strength bleach, I now wear my oldest clothing, including raggedy shoes. Please don't ask me how I learned this trick.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #4

I used simple green, a scrub brush and a lot of elbow grease. Looks much better but not perfect and was a lot of work. I always try to make sure its dry when rolling up, have even wiped the edge with a towel as the DW rolls it in a little at a time. Previous owner was not so careful and there are now permanent pine needle prints and dark blotches. Summer! It's right around the corner. Happy camping to all, and to all a good site!
Old 06-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

I use a method similar to Kafn8td. I use granular Tide, 1 cup in about 4 gallons of water. I create lots of suds, put it on both top and bottom of the awning with an auto wash brush, roll the top up while adding as many suds as possible, wait for 20 - 30 minutes, unroll, then rub a little with the brush and rinse the soap off. This process left the awning very clean. And, I still have elbow grease left and my clothes don't have any white spots.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
Mine was looking a little dirty a few weeks ago, so I sprayed the top side with a bleach mixture and while it was still wet rolled it up. I let it sit for 5 minutes or so, unrolled it, hit a couple of spots with the brush and then hosed it off.
My wife was pretty proud of me because i didn't have bleach spots all over my shirt and shorts!
Sounds like an idea or as N&K mentioned, the tide suds.

The wife said to use the stuff she uses in the shower that removes mildew and soap scum .. spray it on, wait a few minutes and it rinses away with a little water rinse and no scrubbing.

I'm thinking the shower mildew/soap scum remover will do a nice job w/o any elbow grease required!
Old 06-11-2016, 06:53 AM   #7

The shower cleaner stuff is a good idea.
Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #8

My awning was extremely molded. I bought Home Armor Mildew Stain remover and Blocker. I found it at Ace Hardware.
I washed the awning and sprayed and then let it set for 20 min. Scrubbed it and sprayed it again and let it set. Scrubbed it and rinced. It came out looking good. It is stained some but no more green mold.
It says it "prevents" mold for 3 months.
"Skinny people are easier to kidnap...eat more pie"
PieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieGuy View Post
My awning was extremely molded. I bought Home Armor Mildew Stain remover and Blocker. I found it at Ace Hardware.
I washed the awning and sprayed and then let it set for 20 min. Scrubbed it and sprayed it again and let it set. Scrubbed it and rinced. It came out looking good. It is stained some but no more green mold.
It says it "prevents" mold for 3 months.

YES~ ~ that is the same stuff the wife said to use as it works better to clean the shower than anything else tried .. and she tried them all!! It was purchased at Menards or WalMart.

"Home Armor Instant (2X stronger) Mold & Mildew Stain Remover, cleans with no scrubbing, bleach formula ~ comes in a 32 oz green spray container. UPC # 075919005026 Can be used on tile,grout, tubs, shower doors, concrete, brick, wood, fiberglass,vinyl, etc. Rinse from rubber or vinyl within 15 minutes of application."

I'm going to give it a go.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #10

Great idea! I use shower cleaner nearly everyday yet it never occurred to me to use it on the awning. There's a wealth of info to be found here on the forum and the included links. Thanks everyone. keep 'em coming - Happy Camping
Old 05-12-2017, 07:01 AM   #11

Default Good tips

Great tips from all of you! I think I'll start with the Tide when I unroll my awning on the used Funfinder Sport for the FIRST TIME this Spring! Tide would be MUCH more environmentally friendly (I don't even like putting bleach down the drain where it gets treated before flowing back into the world) Plus, I always used Tide to soak my venetian blinds in the bathtub when they needed a cleaning and it did a wonderful job. GREAT idea about rolling the awning back up for the 'soak' part.

happy season folks!
dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #12

Great cleaning tips, guess I should clean something instead of make something. I'd rather make . .. . lol

Liz
Old 05-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #13

Great tips all, I'm getting ours ready for the summer and had planned on using a 409 product for kitchens and BR's and a commercial awning cleaner I bought last year from Camping World...

Tires and a bath next week and then off to the wild-reaches of Minnesota...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #14

Paul used Dawn and bleach on the Funfinder awning. I should take a photo of the shirt he wore. He still wears it while working on the Shasta. It's polka dot all over but the awning came out looking brand new.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Paul used Dawn and bleach on the Funfinder awning. I should take a photo of the shirt he wore. He still wears it while working on the Shasta. It's polka dot all over but the awning came out looking brand new.
If he wears the same shirt next time he cleans the awning, maybe he will have a beautiful all white shirt ?
Old 05-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
If he wears the same shirt next time he cleans the awning, maybe he will have a beautiful all white shirt ?
Good thought. We haven't even put out the awning in the Shasta yet. The previous owner did show him s tear at the end that they use a clamp on. Not good. Anyway, we probably won't be thrilled with what we find. But yes, if it's filthy but servicable I will encourage him to wear that shirt again!! Lol!

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote