Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #1

Default Condensation

How is the best way to stop condensation? We have a 2012 260bhs Shadow Cruiser TT . The first time we went out it was cool and raining.
There was so much water on the inside I thought it was leaking.
I was told that a small dehumidifier would help.
Has anyone else had condensation poroblems.
Thanks, Bob B

Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Site Team

No, but where I live condensation is rarely an issue. I'd suggest opening a window a bit - as long as it doesn't rain in, or maybe crack the roof vent and run the fan.

Hopefully someone with more experience has better ideas.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #3

I used a roof vent cover that allows the roof vent to remain open even in the rain or while towing. Easy to install. I put it over the vent over the vent with the fan so it would move the humid air out.
14 NRS RAft
montanacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #4

Default Keep it dry

Camping world and others offer an absorbent bead type of material that will suck the moisture out of the air to about 50%. Mold should not be a problem at this level. (I know, it's really a chemical reaction at work but you can think of it as an air sponge.) The beads are exposed to the air while being held in a basket. The basket is located above a bucket. It's a low cost & simple to use device that works well and requires no power.
Experienced campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #5

Ah yes, the raining inside symptoms! 3 yrs ago we were camping with our Trailmanor over on Lopez Island (San Juan Islands, WA) and we had about 6 days of rain in 10 days of camping. Plus it was a chilly September weather. We had to wipe down the walls several times a day. Openning the roof vents and cracking windows didn't help, just too humid! The TM had aluminum walls inside, so were a bit 'cooler' and more readily condensed, but still!

Now in the FF, last year camping in OR, again cool September weather, but not a lot of rain, we again had condensation. Not as bad as the TM, but still had to wipe the windows and upper corners of walls. Opening the Fantastic Fan and cracking a window helped a good deal. But remember, with every breath to expel, you are sending out humidity into a closed vessel, and the same goes for every cup of coffee or tea, or can of soup. If the temps are cool, condensation occurs .. and/or if you are in an area with high humidity, it is just multiplied. If you are in an area where these conditions are persistent, and you are on shore power, a small dehumidifier might be a good idea and would help. If this is more of an occasional situation, just be aware that you should be ready to wipe and air out on your trip. Then air out the rig when y0ou get home. My best suggestion.

As far as mold goes, we store our TT under an ADCO cover and put 3 moisture absorbing 'buckets' in it (with the little pellets in them). We've never had any moisture issues from the 'interior rain' events!

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
fischnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #6

Default Condensation can turn to ice!

We do a lot of cold weather camping -- and at night, with the trailer mostly closed up (except for the bathroom vent), the moisture in the air freezes on the inside of the windows. We wipe it up first thing in the morning -- there is no way to prevent this, I guess. Small price to pay for camping in the mountains during the winter.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote