Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #1

Default Converter

I own a 21rb and currently I am looking at installing a 3-4 stage converter due to my transition to 6 volt batteries. Anyone have any experience or recommendations on replacing the stock converter?

JButze100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #2

I've heard good things about the Xantrex products, but I have not had first hand experience. Check out the RV.net forums -- there is a search function that works fairly well. Lots of highly technical discussions by highly opinionated folks -- some of it is valuable.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
Site Team

Check out Best Converter. When my converter went I bought a PDI converter that was a drop in replacement for the WFCO (which I assume you have now) and is a true 4 stage charger with float mode.
PD4655MBA WildKat 55 Amp Main Board Assembly for WFCO 8955 or Parallax 7155 (Includes 4600 Remote)
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #4

I also recommend BestConverter. Bought this --> BD 1255 MBA 55 Amp 4-Stage Main Board Replacement <-- last year for use with two 6 volts & am very satisfied now. Wish I would have went 6V sooner (wife was also amazed at the difference).
Old 03-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #5

Wheatboy, what about 6 V seems so much better -- battery life? Performance? I am interested!
Old 03-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Wheatboy, what about 6 V seems so much better -- battery life? Performance? I am interested!
Difference between 12V & 6V was night and day!

With the single 12V that came with our FF, we were lucky if it made it a day before going dead (& this was with us only lightly using LED lights, radio, & water pump for washing hands & toilet for two adults only). Fridge & water heater would be set to run off propane. Until last year we thought it was a faulty battery, electrical system, or charger & had trailer in for multiple checkups.

First time we went out with two 6V in series, it was without electrical hook up. Made it 6 days before battery sensor dropped to 1/3 full charge. This was also now with three young kids... while still trying to be conservative with power. Moved trailer long enough to dump twice & once to charge for 8 hours (at another site)... before moving back to no power hook up. We left three days later (with 2/3 full battery still) without having to charge again. Note, this was also with the upgraded converter (not that WFCO garbage that we struggled to charge the 12V with).

Since changing to 6V, we are confident we can make it through a week now without an electrical hook up, or through an evening if the power goes out (when hooked up -- yes... we have been camping once where power went out about 8pm & we woke to a dead 12V battery!).

Hope this helps you decide Profdant139! Cheers!
Old 03-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #7

Do you recall the capacity of the 12v or the 6v? I.e., how many amp/hours, what "group" (27 or 31 or whatever)? Those numbers are critical to evaluating performance.

Also, was the 12v battery new or used? Thanks!
Old 04-09-2018, 09:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Do you recall the capacity of the 12v or the 6v? I.e., how many amp/hours, what "group" (27 or 31 or whatever)? Those numbers are critical to evaluating performance.

Also, was the 12v battery new or used? Thanks!
12V was a new group 27 standard Interstate battery that comes with campers up here in Canada. Can't recall the amp/hours sorry. And as for the 6V, they are currently in storage so will have to update later.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:09 AM   #9

Good quality 6v setups are superior if you are boondocking with RV'S. If you have shore power all the time you will not see the difference more than likely. Any one who switches over to two 6v batteries are looking for longer run times without charging. When I set up a vehicle with a 12 v winch I always use two 6 v batteries instead of one 12v as the reserve is much better. Silverado