Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Default Dinette Table Needed

Just purchased our "new to us" 2011 Fun Finder X series M-214WSD and looking forward to our first outing very soon. Everything seems to be in working order, however, the dinette table has a large crack across on of the sides. We are trying to find a replacement, but have yet to locate one. Does anyone know where we can get a new/used one? Thanks!

coharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #2

Same thing happened to me -- the dinette table on many RVs is made of MDF, which is really just compressed cardboard. It is both heavy and weak. When it was in the "down" position (to support the mattress), I sat on the edge and felt it bend under my weight. (I am a large person -- 6'4" and 230 lb.)

So I made my own out of laminated baltic birch plywood -- an easy project. Here is a description:

The LMIC (Look Mom I'm Camping): A Lighter Dinette Table (Baltic Birch Ply Instead of MDF and Formica)

Our "custom" table is lighter and stronger than the MDF, and it looks a lot nicer. Probably cheaper than buying a new MDF table, too.

Let me know if you have any questions! And be sure to ask lots of questions if this is your first trailer. Us old timers love to answer them!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:40 PM   #3

I have a table with my 2009 X210WBS that I never use. It is too heavy. I actually use it now as a sewing machine table. We purchased two folding tables that are bigger than TV trays and we put those up when we eat inside. They are lightweight and you can put them on the bed when traveling or we stand them up by the couch slide. It works out good for us.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #4

I don't use mine, but need to keep for reselling. I use this (comes in multiple colors and unfinished for $86.00)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Internat...236D/300944972
With the leaves up it is almost as big as original table and down gives total access to dinette. And it can be moved around to make the dinette a true sofa/lounging area. I leave the original table top on the floor (makes sturdy base for this little, light, wood table) which also keep the original to use if I need the extra dinette bed.
lucynricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #5

we finally got around to making the LMIC table. big improvement! much easier to put down and take up for sleeping. there is so much wood tone in our camper, I'd like it to stay the nice light color it is, so still deciding how to finish it.
Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #6

Hilda, I did not even stain my new table. Just sanded it carefully (random orbital sander, 120 grit) and then used wipe-on poly, several coats. Make sure you do the coats every four hours or so -- then you do not need to sand between coats.

But of course, the surface is not as durable as an actual sheet of plastic, so we will need to refinish it every few years. Easy to do.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:31 PM   #7

are your cabinets white? If mine were white, I'd go with the poly and enjoy the nice wood grain. but our camper has a lot of wood grain surfaces in it. and several are subtly different tones. The original table had an off white formica on it, which looked nice. I think I'm going to try to keep the table as light colored as possible, even considered paint, but I'm not a great painter. I think I'll use a white stain, and then put the poly on. even clear poly darkens the wood a little, I think.

any way, it makes a nice difference to have a light table!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #8

A southwestern white pickle stain would be great under a poly coat.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #9

yes, that would be perfect. I'd like to find a one step stain/poly like mimwax makes.

Tags
dinette, table