Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #1

Default DIY Refrigerator Improvement.

The little dual fan setup mounts to the cooling fins and helps distribute the cold air more efficiently through the refrigerator. Easy install-pull power from the light. I've seen a 2 - 4 degree improvement. When it's really hot outside, the refrigerator suffers because the air won't circulate over the evaporator coils. So-I also installed a manually activated dual fan that helps push the hot air up to the refrigerator exhaust vent. I've noticed a couple of degrees improvement. Looking up at the coils - this is a little dual-fan 12-volt fan that connects to the on/off switch. Takes so little power that both the fan in the refrigerator and this coil fan, can run when we're boon docking and using the refrigerator in the propane mode. The solar system can easily cover the usage.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5598.jpg   IMG_5599.jpg   IMG_5600.jpg  

runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:01 PM   #2

What light did you get power from? The refrigerator light turns off when the door is closed so you did not hook it up to that one.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:34 PM   #3

The power wire comes from the side of refrigerator and "in to" the light assembly. So getting the power before the switch that controls the light on/off as the door is open or closed.
Not all refrigerators have lights, so those instructions involve routing the wire through the drain hole, to behind the refrigerator and drawing power from a 12V source back there (no drilling involved or recommended).
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #4

Well done!!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to anthonyx2
Default Tuning up the fridge

I used a long thin "bottle brush" to clean out the vertical heating tube for the refrigerator, just to clean out the odd bits of surface dirt/rust/cobwebs that could limit heat transfer. Also the insulation above the fridge at the top vent was slumped down over the top of the fridge and restricting excess heat from leaving, so I clipped that up out of the way, opening up the area above the back of the fridge. Finally, the temperature sensor (white plastic folded bit of a thing with a wire connected to it) that clips onto the cooling fins, I folded a thin piece of boxboard (just a cereal box top cut up) and placed that in between the fin and the temperature sensor, so the sensor isn't as reactive to the temperature of the cooling fin. I think that causes the fridge to run a little cooler. I keep a thermometer now in the fridge so I can monitor the temperature. The freezer keeps ice very well, and the main fridge runs around 0 to 5 celcius.