Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2019, 07:14 PM   #1

Default Do our holding tanks have breather vents?

I have noticed that the gray water tanks seem to empty slowly, or in stages. Is that because the tanks do not have breather vents or do I have a problem?

Old 11-10-2019, 07:31 AM   #2

I think you have a problem, they should drain fast without Interruption. Check the vent on the roof is a good start. Have some one flush your toilet at the same time as you are dumping the black water tank. If it is blockage in the tank it will not make a difference. If it is a venting issue the open toilet will allow the black tank to vent. Silverado

Old 11-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
APD

Our black tank vents thru the roof like a home system but our grey tank uses a "studor" type vent under the kitchen cabinet.
Studor vents admit air into a system but block any air (or odors) from escaping. If yours is so equipped it may be malfunctioning and not be allowing air into the grey water system and causing slow drainage.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #4

Thanks, I had never heard of an AAV until you informed me. I hope to go looking for them in my trailer tomorrow. Here is another brand: Tuuber
https://www.amazon.com/vdp/15142c4e7...ef=dp_vse_rvc0
Old 11-11-2019, 06:13 AM   #5

The OP was about gray water tank. Is that where the problem lies? Everyone is posting blank tank fixes. The grey tank would vent through the sinks and shower drains. I would check for blockages there.
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #6

I have primarily noticed the slow or intermittent draining from the gray tank connected to the island in the kitchen.
We have two gray tanks, the other connects to the shower and vanity sink. Here I have noticed that the sink will back up (even though it is a couple feet above the shower) if the shower fills with water. At first this confused me but I think the explanation is that there is no breather vent from the this tank and the water in the shore creates a backpressure on the trap in the sink which causes the water to back up. Notice in this scenario that an AAV would not help since it is closed if there is pressure coming from the tank.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #7

APD had the correct insight of an Air Admittance Valve! I went looking under the sink in the island and found an Ayrlett 6 Model AB screwed on a riser above the trap. The AAV is black ABS with a 1 1/2" female thread. It rattles when I shake it so I presume it is not clogged and will work as designed. I am going to test the flow of gray water from the tank with the AAV removed and compare it when installed. Hopefully I will discover something.
Attached Thumbnails
Ayrlett6ModelAB.JPG  
Old 11-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #8
APD

Maybe that'll be all it takes and will be a quick fix. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Alan

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote