Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2018, 01:00 AM   #21

Thank you all! I'm trying to get my husband interested in figuring this out, because I guess I either I'm not that interested or I'm just dense when it comes to this LOL. Silverado, Good to know it's possible to go so long without a problem. We have dry camped for a week at a time with no problems and did not have to charge the battery. I don't know, I guess it's because we're full time now that I feel that I have to master all of these things. LOL.

Thanks again for all the information and encouragement and I will file it away for future reference.

Liz

Old 09-06-2018, 02:53 AM   #22

Liz, going a week without charging can shorten the life of your batteries, if the batteries drop below 12.1 volts. Don't ask me how I know this -- an expensive lesson.

When you measure the voltage, let the battery rest for at least 15 min. before taking a reading. If you measure it while it is under load, the measurement will be too low.

I know this is all kind of dull and technical, but it is a big deal if you are full timing or doing a lot of boondocking. If you are almost always plugged in with hookups, no big deal.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
I know this is all kind of dull and technical, but it is a big deal if you are full timing or doing a lot of boondocking. If you are almost always plugged in with hookups, no big deal.
well, I don't mind dull & technical. (I do a lot of dull & technical, I fuse glass lol) it's just that for some reason I don't grasp this. Or... Something ...

We usually have some hookups, rarely full, depending on where we're staying, but I would like to spend more time in national parks and they never have any hookups. So, I guess I need to learn this. And I need to learn to read my multimeter.

...sigh...

Liz
Old 09-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #24

Liz, don't give up. It is easy. Take your multimeter over to the battery. Turn it on. Switch the dial or the controls to the 20 volt setting. Put the red contact on the positive terminal. Put the black one on the negative.

When your battery is on a charger, it will read (usually) around 13.7 or so.

When you disconnect the power, it will read around 12.9.

As soon as you run it with a load (like a light on or whatever) and then turn the light off, it'll read around 12.7.

If you test the battery (with no shore power) while you are running the lights and the furnace and the water pump, it'll read around 12. That does not mean you are harming the battery.

But if after turning off all of those devices and letting the battery rest, it reads 11.9, you have probably overtaxed the battery. If you do that all the time, the battery will wear out a lot faster than if you seldom let the resting charge drop below 12.1.

Now, if you want to get a little fancier, buy a small device called a hydrometer at your local auto parts store. It's like a big eye dropper, and they cost around ten bucks. This gadget measures the "specific gravity" of the water in the battery. Why? I am glad you asked.

The hydrometer tests the well-being of each of the six cells in your battery. If the specific gravity is high (around 1300, whatever that means), the cell is fine. When one or more cells drops below the readings for the other, you know you have a battery that is getting ready to fail.

So this test keeps you from getting stranded with a bad battery! Very useful, and not hard to do. Have an old rag handy while you are reading each cell -- the battery acid can drip a little. And wear rubber gloves.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #25

Costco online has a great 100 watt panel with a charge controller and a 400 watt inverter as well. 180 Canadian. I have used it all summer, works great

Muckk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dry camping, solar, trickle charger