Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #1

Default Does anyone use a under counter water filter?

OK, my RV water tastes like crap and no matter what I do, it still tastes like crap. I sanitize and rinse out the tank, and it still tastes like crap. And before someone makes a joke about which tank I'm drinking from, its the fresh water tank. So a possible solution may be to install a under counter water filter for the kitchen faucet. There appears to be a mount to hold one already in place, but I'm not sure what size to use. Does anyone use a filter for water coming from the fresh water tank, and if so what size and type are you using?

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #2

Does the water taste like crap BEFORE it's put into the camper fresh water tank?

Exactly what does it taste like ? A chlorine taste or plastic taste or ???

Have you checked for mold or ?? in your fresh water tank?

Old 07-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #3

Our Funfinder had an undersink filter that the previous owner had cut off. Evidently he had left it on in the winter and the housing cracked. Go figure. We take our own good water with us and also use a Brita jug for drinking water. We sanitize the fresh water tank like you did. We do carry a filter that can be used outside the trailer valve, but we never hook up to "city" water. Not sure what's going on with yours.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Does the water taste like crap BEFORE it's put into the camper fresh water tank?

Exactly what does it taste like ? A chlorine taste or plastic taste or ???

Have you checked for mold or ?? in your fresh water tank?
When I initially fill it with city water (at the house), it does not taste bad. However, after a day or two, it has a taste like plastic and a little like chlorine. Longer is sits, the worst it tastes. Anyway, not sure how much more I can do, since I sanitize with chlorox, than rinse out the tank three or four times, before filling.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #5

Use a filter at the RV end of the filler hose or install one under the sink. Silly question but, you do bypass your water heater when you sanitize your fresh water tank of course.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:38 PM   #6

Mine has a filter, obviously from the factory. It is a simple blue tube type screw "inline" type filter. You can buy them at Walmart. I also use a filter on my hose (same kind) when I fill. Water tastes fine.

It is important to use an RV water hose to fill you tank, not a cheap plastic garden hose. It does make a difference, but may be not a big one.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Use a filter at the RV end of the filler hose or install one under the sink. Silly question but, you do bypass your water heater when you sanitize your fresh water tank of course.
I sanitize the hot water tank when I sanitize the fresh water tank. I drain and rinse both tanks out before I fill the fresh water tank.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
I sanitize the hot water tank when I sanitize the fresh water tank. I drain and rinse both tanks out before I fill the fresh water tank.
We use the RVgeeks method which bypasses the water tank because it takes s lot of rinsing to rid it of the bleach and it has the magnesium anode rod which is designed to deteriorate. Some people remove the anode rod just because it can produce a rotten egg smell and taste to the water.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Same here ~ not because I drink hot water but because I don't care to chance possible contaminated water in the bath, washing hands or dishes.

Anyone who has gotten ill from contaminated water knows it's not a fun time!

Old 07-05-2017, 07:50 AM   #10

How did anyone survive before? So much fear in our society today. Use of hand sanitizer and so called antiseptic problems is the cause of many of our health problems isn't it? Another reason to stop watching television and the news. The water heater does get hot right?
Old 07-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #11

Fearful ~ no not fearful, just common sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterborne_diseases

Overseas, in the military it was pounded into us that one NEVER drinks tap water or when served in an open glass. All public water sources in the USA are tested for safety on a regular basis following standard procedures. However, there are still instances where it has harmed people from old dump sites leaching and the recent Flint MI contaminated water : https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/u...er-crisis.html

Hand sanitizer is mostly a "feel good" thing depending on the contents and how used.

6 Things About Hand Sanitizers | Berkeley Wellness

Sometimes a simple little thing can prevent a health issue.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #12

I grew up in the country on well water and have lived in the country ever since. A water filter is pretty much all that should be needed. Overuse of sanitizer has contributed to many super bugs being created. Kids who can't play in the dirt become sickly for the rest of their lives. Allergies are rampant nowadays. All because of over worry.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #13

I grew on on a farm with free flowing artesian well water from about 1700 feet down...natural pressure & no pump needed.

It was free of contamination after passing thru so much earth and rocks to that depth.

BTW ~ all wells are usually tested for contamination when drilled. Shallow or surface wells can become contaminated quite easily. Although not required, it is recommended that private wells be tested annually for safety but that is the owners option.

When operating a large housing complex with it's own private bored well with a pumping capacity of 2,500 GPM as a water source and private sewage system/lagoon, the well water quality was tested monthly per state regulations. Also, at that time I held a Class 1 water works operator permit and a Class 1 waste water permit issued by the State.

REGARDLESS ~ each may do as they desire.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #14

I'm just saying I survived quite well drinking unfiltered well water, and still am. I'm not afraid of our water heater in the RV.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #15

Our fresh water tastes pretty lousy, too. I clean it and sanitize it and I'm comfortable that it's fine for sinks, dishes, the shower and even the toilet. But for drinking, I fill a gallon jug or two from the house tap. Of course, I supplement the drinking water with Bud Light and the occasional Bourbon, so a gallon of water lasts a good long time.

A decent charcoal filter will clean up the taste by absorbing dissolved gases (like chlorine). Just remember that a charcoal filter does nothing for bacteria or parasites or any of that fun stuff. In a cold climate like VT, it'd be a pain to winterize as the filter would have to be removed.
-- 1962 Wife / Partner-In-Life
vttimwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #16

All this talk of sanitation brings up another question. How often do you do it? As an example, I sanitized the tank four weeks ago when I we camping. We 're going camping again in a couple of days. Should I sanitize it again or just rinse it out. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #17

I sanitize my fresh water tank with Sodium Dichlor (not bleach) before the first use in the spring after winter storage.

After each use, the tank and water heater are drained.

The next time it's used, about 1/4 of a teaspoon is added and water tank filled....then about 1/2 of the tank is drained before getting on the road. I always carry about 1/2 tank of fresh water when traveling.

I use Sodium Dichlor because I cannot stand the smell of chlorine in bleach .... nearly died once from breathing chlorine gas in a water plant. Chlorine gas & moisture in the body combine into hydrochloric acid swelling air passages which causes one to suffocate.

How to sanitize with Sodium Dichlor:
How to Clean RV Fresh Water Holding Tanks | Gone Outdoors | Your Adventure Awaits

Here is another article .. with bleach and Sodium Dichlor
http://rvbasics.com/techtips/sanitiz...er-system.html

Others many approach RV fresh water tank sanitation differently.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #18

Quote:
.....since I sanitize with chlorox, than rinse out the tank three or four times, before filling.
Try running a LOT of that chlorinated water through all pipes, taps, etc before rinsing. Maybe the source is between the tank and the tap(s).
Old 07-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #19

Quote:
OK, my RV water tastes like crap and no matter what I do, it still tastes like crap. I sanitize and rinse out the tank, and it still tastes like crap. And before someone makes a joke about which tank I'm drinking from, its the fresh water tank. So a possible solution may be to install a under counter water filter for the kitchen faucet. There appears to be a mount to hold one already in place, but I'm not sure what size to use. Does anyone use a filter for water coming from the fresh water tank, and if so what size and type are you using?
Hi Twinster2,
When you sanitize your system, be sure to take the amode out of the HW Heater before you sanitize and then reinstall after you have rinsed the system the last time. During the clorox flush, be sure to run enough water through all faucets to smell clorox at the respective faucet and shower and then let the system set for several hours before flushing the entire system with clean water several times, including all faucets and hoses. I left the anode in my first flush several years ago, it turned black and tainted the entire water system... I removed the old anode, re-flushed the system from start to finish, replaced the anode and final filled the tank... I use a filter at the hose during the fill and if connected to city water, and my water tastes fine... I also sanitize after and long period of nonuse... over winter, if it sets for more than a couple months, etc.
Good luck,

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:37 AM   #20

This is an interesting thread. We just drink bottled water when we camp, and pretty much when we are home, our water is . . . . questionable. (small Texas town with lots of oil rigs around) We have a reverse osmosis at home, and have thought of getting one for the camper, but, I really don't think I can find that much more 'hidden' storage LOL. And bottled water is 68 cents a gallon, so, eh, in the big scheme of things I don't worry about it. We have a 'whole house' type water filter that we put on the incoming water line to the camper . . . but we still drink bottled water. ha!

liz