Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-22-2019, 06:35 AM   #1

Default Domestic refrigerator

Hello all, the TT has been idle for a year so I turned things on the check. I’m plugged in to electric but frig doesn’t work. This is the basic model with temp for freezer and frig automatically set. With the gas off at the tank and the gas button on the frig set to OFF, the check light comes on and the igniter is trying to light. I’ve checked the fuses and for good measure changed all the 15 amp fuses but it’s not working. Suggestions appreciated.

rolandr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
Site Team

If you can hear the igniter sparking then the fridge is trying to run on gas, which it will do if there is no electric. I assume you have the Dometic 2862 which only has 2 modes, either gas only or automatic which runs off electric but defaults to gas if there is no power. So if the switch is in the 'auto' position and it's trying to run on gas then there is no 120V power.
Which fuses did you check? There is a fuse for the electric heating element inside the power module located at the back of the fridge that's accessible by removing the panel on the outside of the trailer.
BTW you can adjust the temperature, at least somewhat. Look for a thermocouple clipped to one of the cooling fins inside the refrigerator compartment. You can adjust the temp by sliding it around on the fin.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #3

Oh, the AUTO light does come on.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #4
Site Team

If you're plugged into shore power, the fridge is set to auto and it's trying to run on gas then it sounds like there is no AC power to it. Try taking of the outside cover and verifying that the outlet the fridge is plugged into has power.

If you don't already have one you can download a manual here: Dometic Documentation Server
Old 07-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #5

LJAZ, really appreciate your replies. I’ve had the cover off and confirmed it’s plugged in as expected since nothing was touched since it last worked a year ago. Am intrigued by your comment about a fuse for the elect heating element. I haven’t been able to identify one. I do have the manual. Thinking about taking it to the professionals.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
Site Team

Rolandr47,

The fuse is located inside what Dometic calls the power module. That's located in the lower left hand corner of the fridge on the back side. You have to open that up and there should be 2 fuses in there, a 3A & a 5A. The 5A is the one for the heating element. It should cover this in the manual. If your manual is the same as mine it's on page 13 under the title of Maintenance and Service.

Do you have the installation manual as well? That has the wiring diagram and an illustration of the back side of the fridge showing where the power module is located. If not, PM me your email address & I'll send you a copy.

Another thought. Did you verify that the outlet has power? It is mostly likely a GFCI circuit (although I'm not positive) which might have tripped.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #7

LJAZ, other duties called me away from the project for a while but after your last I did open the Install Manual and look at the diagrams. This I dreaded because such is not in my wheel house. I did pull the 3 and 5 amp fuses and simply replaced and wa-la ! It works! I was even hesitant to pull the cover off the module out of fear of breaking something. Couldn’t have done it without ya. BIG THANKS.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Awesome! Glad it turned out to be an easy fix. Also glad you didn't have to take it somewhere for repairs.