Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2019, 04:21 PM   #1

Default Door leaks.

Hello funfinder friends. We're back with a different problem. Our door leaks when it rains. Hubby has added a rubber gasket around the inside and caulked around the outside. He also added a strip of rubber gasket along the bottom front of the screen door. We've had a good test as we are having some strong winds and heavy rains here in southwest Missouri today. Yikes! It is better but rain still came in. The door is now difficult to close. We are thinking we need to go to our local Camp Mor store and get a new gasket specifically made for the door. It looks like we will have to start over and take off hinges to apply in kind. We were trying to avoid taking it apart but need to stop the leak. That is unless anyone has any other suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Mimitjc@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:03 PM   #2

You did the right thing -- self-adhesive weather stripping. I did the same thing more for insulation in cold weather than rain-proofing.

I guess the next step is to get a new gasket. Let us know how the installation goes!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:15 AM   #3

you may want to check your door window, the seal around the glass and window frame. I replaced my glass and window frame in my door. I was surprised at how poorly the window design is and can see how it would easily leak. The water would most likely run thru the door and out the bottom.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #4

Thanks. We didn't do anything with the window. I wonder if that is something we can just caulk? Not concerned with the look as much as keeping the water out.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #5

Yes you can, do the inside of the frame and glass and the outside frame. Believe it or not, that's the only thing keeping the water out. If the seal around the glass and frame go bad guarentee it will leak.

You'll see what I mean if you ever decide to change the type of glass in the door.
1kotonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:55 PM   #6

Thanks so much for the tip. We honestly, had not considered the window because we were so focused on the door. Hubby got the caulk and just finished. We have rain in the forecast tomorrow so it may be put to the test. Again, thanks for making us think about the door window.