Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Default Electrical snafu

We saw a break in the weather we decided to take our 189 FDS out for the first time this year and turned on the refrigerator to get ready. When I checked the next day I was disappointed to see no cooling at all. Upon further inspection I found an electrical problem, there was power but no neutral at the outlet. After tracking the circuit from the breaker all the way through to the final outlet I still couldn't find the problem. Finally after going back and forth between the inside and the underside about half a dozen times I started digging and found a bogus splice hidden above the vapor barrier underneath. There was a 'dry location' punch down type of connector used to join the solid wire romex to the stranded cord connected to the slide out. Being retired after 33 years in the electrical trade, hence the handle retelect, I know enough to NEVER use stranded wire in a punch down type of connector. Overall we've been happy with our Fun Finder but this was a disappointment (not to mention a little scary). I hope we, or anyone else, doesn't encounter something similar.
Attached Thumbnails
fun finder refer1.jpg   fun finder refer 2.jpg  

Old 03-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #2

So the connection failed? Was it because of the location near the slide out? I assume it had worked previously. Glad you were smart enough to figure this out.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #3

You were lucky it didn't start a fire and burn to the ground.

That is a very unsafe situation. Good you found it and made the necessary corrections.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #4

Yes, the connection failed because it was the wrong part for that type of application. We had some intermittent issues with the refer prior, but a voltage check at the refer outlet showed 120V. I'm pretty sure a test of that outlet under load would have told a different story. I don't think this is a typical installation, more likely someone had precut the stranded cord and came up short, or maybe it was the end of the reel on a Friday afternoon and the installer thought - how can I make this work? Not sure, but upon seeing the way the wiring is installed I'm guessing the factory allows the installers half the time it would take to do a good job and then says WHAT TOOK SO LONG!?
Old 03-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #5

Since you are a retelect, may I ask a question as I'm not real keen on electrical issues?

I've noticed a few times when my camper is connected via the power cord, at times I can get a little "tickle" to my arm or ? ~ but only noticed it by the hitch....never inside the camper.

What could be the cause of this?
Old 03-04-2016, 11:18 PM   #6

Good question Eagle. I would have to say its caused by an inadequate ground connection somewhere in the system. I had experienced a similar 'tingle' on job sites when plugging a power tool into an improperly wired temporary power supply box. Somewhere voltage is leaking to the frame but if the ground connection were good enough you wouldn't feel anything because the frame and the ground would be electrically the same 'potential' as they say in electrical parlance and the electrical 'leak' would show up as a tripped breaker. Its possible the faulty ground is at the power source you're plugged into so I would check there first (or have it checked). Because that's where the A/C ground for your camper originates. But first and foremost be careful. I hope this helps, Joe
Old 03-05-2016, 05:46 AM   #7

My kids is pretty up on electrical stuff and has some test meters. I will have him check the A/C outlet on the house first.
Your advice is much appreciated....Thanks
Old 03-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #8
roy

Cruiserv is not ranked highly on electrical build quality. The wiring behind my main breaker box is indescribable. It's literally a mess of wires and I have run up on many loose or bad connections and splice jobs.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #9

Wow! I'm glad that I have a very simple 189FBR with no slides and barely any electrical wiring LOL I did have to replace the inverter (is that the right name) last year. The wiring was fine, there are only about 3 breakers, and things looked neat behind the box when I pulled it out. I think that FF had the idea of a quality build, but not the execution. The cabinets are beautiful, the aluminum framing is great, but then the windows were installed abysmally. In some places our front window had about 1/8-1/4" overlap of the body of the trailer where it should have had at least 1/2" We never knew it because we a) live in Texas where it doesn't rain, and b) had a covered storage shed so we had no idea until we had a long rainy trip - and boy did 2 window leak like sieves. I never even thought about the quality of the electrical wiring. wow! that's scary!