Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #1

Default Elictric Tongue Jacks

We just had our first weekend get away in our new 2012 Shadow Cruiser 285RLS. It is absolutely beautiful. We are so happy we finally stepped up to a real camper from the pop-up. Just when I thought I was done cranking things up, I realized that I still had to crank quite a lot when using the sway bars, on, off, etc. So I thought I would buy an electric tongue jack. I've done a considerable amount of research and found out many of them have different post hole diameter requirements. I called Cruiser RV and the woman ran out to the wharehouse and measured a hole at like 2 5/16" which seems reall large. I don't want a 2' post unstable and moving around in a 2 5/16 inch hole. She also told me to contact Lippert Components becuase that is who they use. I called them and it's like it's like top secret information, he would not tell me the post size of the jacks they sell. He kept telling me it made no difference, black or white was my only choice. So, short of propping the trailer up, taking the old one off to see exactly what the actual diameter is, does anyone know for sure? I have settled on a Barker Jack, but I want to go 3500 lbs or 4000 lbs. I know, overkill, but I feel they would not have to work as hard and may last longer. The problem is, at the 3500 range, it goes from a 2" post to a 2 1/4" post. Can anyone help me? I really don't want to have to take the old one off to find this out. What is the exact whole size on the A-frame? I have been assured all Crusier RVs are the same.

V-8 5.7 Hemi
Rus Lwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #2

Default Electric Tongue Jacks

Shoot. I spell checked everything but the title. Sorry, I'm not really illiterate....unless I just spelled that wrong?

V-8 5.7 Hemi
Old 04-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Site Team

It really shouldn't matter whether the housing completely fills the hole or not. The post housing is attached to the A-frame by a flange on the housing that supports the whole assembly so it won't move around once it's bolted in place. So being a smaller diameter won't hurt anything. If you think about it, putting a 2" diameter tube in a 2 5/16" hole doesn't leave much of a gap - only 5/32" all around. You just don't want to have a 2" hole with a 2 5/16" post.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #4

wharehouse

I bought one for my 189fbs and it was standard,the same one fit my parents 21 foot 2010 Aerolite they sold it in 2011.
Water got in it after 3 years ,I put back on the crank one and have to take it apart regrease reseal.
With the 189fbs if electric stops working the propane tanks are in the way to use emergency crank and must be removed.
2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #5

Thank you. FourForturo. What model and type was that tongue jack? I have found they are not all the same. I think I will just have to go out and take the old one off and measure to be sure.
V-8 5.7 Hemi
Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #6

Your trailer has a 2 1/4" nominal jack post opening. Some jacks can be bought with a 2" post, some with a 2 1/4" post. The mounting plate bolt pattern is the same for both. You can put a 2" in either opening, but, if you buy a jack with a 2 1/4" post, you best have a 2 1/4" opening
Really though, I've installed a 2 1/4" post in a 2" opening. About 10 minutes of work with a grinding cone chucked up in a drill will open the 2" hole up to 2 1/4" easily (you are only taking 1/8" off around the circumference; 2x1/8"=1/4").

Your trailer will take any jack out there, but, I would recommend that you get, at minimum, a 3500 lb rated jack. It doesn't hurt, with power jacks, to have too much lifting ability, particularly with WDH systems as you not only need to lift the tongue weight, but, a substantial weight portion of the rear end of your tow vehicle.

On my 210WBS, that I towed "heavy"; right at the 6000 lb limit), I used an Ultra-Fab 3500 jack with the adjustable foot. UltraFab 3500 Jack with Adjustable Foot

It was more than enough jack to lift the tongue and the rear end of my 6000 lb Jeep Commander. After the first year, I discarded the adjustable foot on it and installed the Fastway Flip Foot in its place. Fastway Flip Foot It drops and raises automatically to give you an extra 6" of length eliminating running the jack down so far (slow) or having to put blocks under the foot (aggravating at times).

If you have the option, get a 2 1/4" jack (beefier post), longest "reach" (some can be had in 24" length of lift; coupled with a 6" Fastway you'll have ~30" of "reach"). Any of the major brands are good; everybody has their personal favorites, but, it really boils down to the head size and design. An electric jack isn't rocket science...a 12v motor that spins a standard acme screw shaft jack post.

Installation is a snap with two caveats: make sure that you have good metal to metal (sand the paint off both parts) contact where the jack bolts to the trailer tongue as that is the ground connection for the power path. The second is to make sure that the fuse in the power cable is protected from the elements. A lot of folks have trouble with their jacks and blame the jack when most of the time the problems can be traced back to a bad ground (where the jack bolts to the frame) or a bad fuse connection (corrosion inside the fuse holder). Another good recommendation is a cover for the power head. While they are supposed to be weatherproof, most will leak over time, particularly in a driving rain while going down the road. Some folks put a small bucket over the head, while some, like me, used a waterproof black bag with drawstring pulled up tight over the head. With the waterproof bag, I could operated the up/down toggle through the bag and didn't have to take it off unless hooking or unhooking in the dark and I needed the lights.

So any jack will fit your trailer, pick a 3500 lb or higher model, pick the longest shaft you can get, get the adjustable foot model if you don't plan on getting the Fastway Flip Foot. Piece of cake and you'll find that after using it, you'll wonder why anybody wouldn't get one

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #7

Webslave, thank you very much. This is great information. I sincerely appreciate you help. I will be going with a Barker 3500. You have made my day. Man this forum really does rock.
V-8 5.7 Hemi
Old 04-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #8

I bought this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/3000-LB-Elec...3afb36&vxp=mtr

Its a cheap one,I did have problems after 3 years,Im sure if I serviced it it would work fine.

2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote