Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
Kim

Default EPDM Roof Cleaning and Maintenance

Hello all!

I am gearing up to clean and reseal the EPDM roof of my 2010 FFX 189FBR this Spring. Normally I take it in to the RV place to have it done, but this year I want to try to do it myself. My understanding is that the roof of this model is accessible. I should be able to get up on it.

My plan is to *first* clean and inspect around each item up there and reseal with dicor as needed. I don't want to wash down the roof if there's a leak around a vent or something.

What would you use to clean around the vents and such to prepare it for the fresh dicor?

What would you use to clean the roof in general?

Thanks!

Any EPDM roof tips and general words of wisdom would be appreciated as well.

Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:52 PM   #2

I clean the old Dicor with mineral spirits before applying new.

2012 FunFinder X-214WSD
2005 F150 FX4
SWFL FlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #3

I think you will find that your roof is TPO and not EPDM. At least that is what is on my 2010 FF.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #4

the roof on my 2010 is TPO. Here is a response I got from the manufacturer of the TPO when I ask about using 303 protectant on it. I have used 303 for 35 years with great results on lots of outdoor stuff. I use it on my camper's exterior walls and decals. Also here is their cleaning info. Here is their response to an email from me:

The TPO that you would have on your roof is an older version of TPO that we currently sell now. It is ok to use the 303 protectant but we have not seen any benefit to doing so. We have not had any reports of it reacting badly with our membrane.

To patch your unit you can use a product called Eterna-bond tape available at Camping World or most any RV supply center.

We do also sell a patch kit that comes with a 2x3 foot piece of membrane and a tube of sealant for $38.90 + S/H.

Thank you,

Monica McCabe
Alpha Systems, LLC.
(574) 295-5206
Fax (574)970-2703

They also sent me this information:

CLEANING AND MAINTAINING THE ALPHA SYSTEMS
ROOF MEMBRANE
Proper care and maintenance of your Alpha Systems roof membrane is critical for years of
trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy and requires no special
materials.
Periodic cleaning (three to four times per year) is the primary maintenance required.
Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Top Job or
Spic-N-Span, and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do not use any harsh or highly-abrasive
products during cleaning. When finished cleaning, remember to thoroughly rinse the roof
and sidewalls in order to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking. CARE
SHOULD BE EXERCISED WHEN WORKING ON TOP OF YOUR UNIT! THE
ROOF MAY BECOME SLIPPERY WHEN WET.
DO NOT USE ACETONE, OR ANY OTHER PRODUCTS CONTAINING
PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, ON THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF
MEMBRANE. USE OF THESE PRODUCTS WILL DAMAGE THE
MEMBRANE.
Periodic inspection of the roof, during cleaning, is highly recommended. Check the
membrane for signs of damage. Check the caulk/lap sealant used in all termination areas,
and around all accessories and fasteners, for signs of cracking or voids.
The roof membrane can be cut or punctured by sharp objects. Caution should be used
when placing any articles on the roof. If damage does occur, the membrane can usually be
patched.
Alpha's membrane is quite inert and will resist weathering well. It does not require the
periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact,
these products can often cause damage to the roof membrane.
If you have any questions, please contact Alpha Systems at 574-295-5206.
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:37 AM   #5
Kim

Thank you so much! This is extremely valuable information! Now if it will just warm up and quit raining long enough for me to get up there and work on it!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #6

Rocky Mtn Marmot: good info. Thanks

Gerald Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
189fbr, 2010, epdm, roof