Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2016, 05:52 AM   #1

Default Ethanol and your gas powered equipment

I avoid ethanol blend gasoline in all my small engines including my camping generator AND avoid using it in my motor vehicles due to reduced fuel mileage & engine problems.

Ethanol is BAD IMO.

This explains why:

Avoid Ethanol Fuels - AllOutdoor.com

Old 07-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #2

Yes -- bad. But most of us have no choice -- nothing else is available. I use SeaFoam in my generator to fight the gummy residue, and I run the gen every month under load to keep it in shape, and I drain the carb every time. So far, so good. But if you use ethanol gas, don't let it just sit in the engine, unused and untreated. The carb jets will clog. Ask me how I know.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #3
Site Team

It's not so much the ethanol itself that's the problem, unless you have an older engine with plastic parts/hoses in the fuel delivery system that aren't compatible with it. It's the fact that ethanol will absorb water that's the culprit. Over time - like when your small engine is in storage the water and gasoline can form an emulsion - that's the gummy stuff that clogs everything up and is difficult to clean. I drain the fuel from the gas tank and the carburetor after I use my generator. The Seafoam or Sta-bil will work too.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #4

The AMA has been campaigning against ethanol for at least a couple of years. They maintain it can destroy motorcycle engines. Here is the Wiki on it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comm..._fuel_mixtures
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Yes -- bad. But most of us have no choice -- nothing else is available. I use SeaFoam in my generator to fight the gummy residue, and I run the gen every month under load to keep it in shape, and I drain the carb every time. So far, so good. But if you use ethanol gas, don't let it just sit in the engine, unused and untreated. The carb jets will clog. Ask me how I know.
Gasoline without any ethanol is available at airports (FFA prohibits ethanol for aircraft fuel use) and many marinas for boat use. Sadly, those living in california have a whole different set of lifestyle mandates.

Fortunately, here in the midwest, non-ethanol blended gas is available at some local places.

When camping in northern Minnesota, it was awesome to purchase 94 octane gasoline for my Harley at a 'regular convenience store' ~ as ran wonderful on 94 octane fuel w/o ethanol. The sign on the pump said something about 'for off road use and boat use only" but no one paid any attention to the sign and no one cared either.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #6

I ONLY put non-ethanol in my Lawn Beast, my 4-wheeler, my Honda generator, and if I could get my power washer started, I'd put it in there, too!

I've always heard that aviation fuel burns too hot for these small engines...does anyone know if that is true? (my brother, who uses MAYBE a half gallon a year in his weed whacker) is always harping on me to use aviation fuel...yeah, okay, at like nine bucks a gallon, sure. I'll get right on that.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #7

There are a couple of web sites that list sources of alcohol free gas. One is Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada. Just click on your state.

It is available in several octanes. Airports that I checked have 100 octane, not particularly high and certainly not going to hurt anything. I pay .50 to $1.00 a gallon more for it but worth it for my classic outboard motors. The 4 wheeled vehicles get whatever is sold at the next station when the gas light comes on.

GrandpaX10 is offline   Reply With Quote