Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #1

Default Fairly urgent question - where do you caullk the back corners?

Click image for larger version

Name:	15789495658782006068023682178007.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	1535

Click image for larger version

Name:	15789495772276650719785757295735.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1536

Hi all!

We have had some really rainy and cold days. I have just discovered water on the closet floor in the back corner by the door where you enter 2008 -189 FBR. I'm not sure if it's condensation which has been particularly heavy, or if it is leaking somewhere that I can't see.

I previously caulked the back corner but I do not cauk this channel. Do you caulk on either side of the insert? Or is it okay just the way it is?

it's supposed to start raining again tonight and I thought I would do it right now if it needed to be done.

Thanks for any help!

Liz
Attached Thumbnails
15789492412332545725790092652315.jpg   1578949264049568353759842138811.jpg   15789494599645447972131218510173.jpg  

PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:10 AM   #2

I have never caulked that area. I sure hope it is not your roof that is leaking.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:05 AM   #3
Site Team

Did you check around the lights? That's often an overlooked source of leaks, particularly the small running lights along the top.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
I have never caulked that area. I sure hope it is not your roof that is leaking.
Oh me too for sure! The trailer had covered storage for the first 8 years so the roof was in pretty good shape. About a year ago I put a coating of Henry's tropicool and it's held up well. I kind of looked at it and it looks okay. I really think it's probably condensation, it has been cold here and this is our full-time residence LOL.So cooking, showers, breathing - all in 105 square ft.

Another funny place that I have found water - there is a gap of about 11 in between the bed and the couch I built. I built a trolley that rolls and stores in that area. When I rolled it out to get something, the area it covered was sopping wet. It's not wet anywhere else and it doesn't seem to be coming from the wall and it's exactly the size and shape of the trolley air space so it seems that if it was an exterior leak it would have expanded beyond that. I think that there is enough air gap under the wheels that the humid air is able to get under and condense on the ice cold floor. If we stay in the FF I think I am going to glue some foam insulation to the bottom of the camper floor.

The back closet has the same type of air gap. I took the small frame piece off the bottom of the cabinet so I could slide a box in and out. So there's the same 2 inch Gap that allows air in but not heat so maybe it's just condensation. --- I'm going to say that LOL

We will be moving hopefully to a warm area and then if it rains I will know if it's leaking or if it was condensation.

Liz
Old 01-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
Did you check around the lights? That's often an overlooked source of leaks, particularly the small running lights along the top.
Thank you I caulked the tops of the lights last year and it's holding up well. Should I caulk entirely around them? I kind of caulked heavy on the top with a lip so it's like a rain-shield LOL I think I was low on caulking but I have more this year . I can caulk all the way around if I should do that. I can't really can't remember if I only did the top but I think I did and why? I'm sure it was a brilliant plan at the time.

One place that I did find leaking last year was the exterior electric outlet. It was not mounted in the hole evenly so there was a gap of course on the top. Or maybe it's just vibrated down over 10 years lol Anyway it is securely mounted and caulked now.

Liz
Old 01-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #6
Site Team

If you've already caulked along the tops of the lights you're probably ok. Sounds more like humidity is your issue. Maybe a small room dehumidifier would help. Then again,what do I know about humidity?
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #7

I caulk both sides of the seams along with the bottom seams plus the lights and take off your spare and caulk around the mount. Another place to check is the back end of the roof, there up is a strip up there that hides the screws that holds the top strip on. On mine I found this strip just sits in a set of tracks was letting in water that was rotting out the screws. Took out the screws put caulk in the holes then new screws. Put the strip back on and covered it with dicor self leveling caulk.
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #8

One place you may want to look at is the window in your door. I took mine out and was surprised at how it was put together.

The only thing keeping the water out is a bead of calking or silicone around the window frame and the window inside the plastic frame.

The water may be leaking into the door from the frame or glass then into the door to the floor.

Good luck.
1kotonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citycamper View Post
I caulk both sides of the seams along with the bottom seams plus the lights and take off your spare and caulk around the mount. Another place to check is the back end of the roof, there up is a strip up there that hides the screws that holds the top strip on. On mine I found this strip just sits in a set of tracks was letting in water that was rotting out the screws. Took out the screws put caulk in the holes then new screws. Put the strip back on and covered it with dicor self leveling caulk.
Thanks for the heads up on these places.

Liz
Old 01-21-2020, 09:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kotonk View Post
One place you may want to look at is the window in your door. I took mine out and was surprised at how it was put together.

The only thing keeping the water out is a bead of calking or silicone around the window frame and the window inside the plastic frame.

The water may be leaking into the door from the frame or glass then into the door to the floor.

Good luck.
Good ideas. I have had my door apart to put stained glass in it.

Liz
Old 01-21-2020, 09:34 PM   #11

Hi all! Quick update, it has been raining and warm a couple days and there was no water in the trailer. It has been cold and dry and there has been water. So apparently it is humidity. I took the front curtain down and made the fan blow across the window and the condensation is just about gone from the front window. So I think that was the issue. I just need more air movement where I have removed things for access. In other words I have dead air spaces that can get humidity but no airflow. So I will work on remedying that. I have my recessed lights in and they're great! I will update that thread later. Also I found a design flaw in the bathroom Skylight trim and I will write a post about that also but not tonight.

Thank you all for all your help and suggestions and ideas!

Liz

Tonight it is cold and rainy The Best of Both Worlds LOL
Old 01-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #12

Is there anything more pleasant than being warm and dry inside a trailer on a cold and rainy night? It's even better than a snowy night because of the sound of the rain on the roof!

(I must confess, thought, that as dry Southern Californians, rain always seems like fun to us. My guess is that it is not so wonderful if you live in a rainy climate.)
Old 01-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Is there anything more pleasant than being warm and dry inside a trailer on a cold and rainy night? It's even better than a snowy night because of the sound of the rain on the roof!

(I must confess, thought, that as dry Southern Californians, rain always seems like fun to us. My guess is that it is not so wonderful if you live in a rainy climate.)
Totally awesome ... especially are years of tenting it in the cold, heat, rain and such non pleasant weather conditions.

I decided to get a camper when tenting it in the fall for the last time on my Harley. Got back to the tent about 11 PM. It was dark and cool. The air mattress was flat .. had a hole in it. Drove 50 miles to town, bought a new air mattress and drove back in the rain. Put the air mattress in the tent and blew it up w/battery powered pump. Of course, very wet and cold by now. Got into the sleeping bag and found out tent leaked, bag was wet and cold. In the AM, my clothes were also wet. Packed up and went home vowing to get a camper .. toy hauler. Searched thru the winter months, decided on an XT276 and purchased it over the phone from a dealer 300 miles away.
Best decision made in a long time so can enjoy camping again with some creature comforts this 70+ body enjoys.

Tags
caulking, condensation, leak