Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #1

Default Fan-Tastic fan really is.

Over this last weekend, I replaced our cheap little tiny 800,000-RPM stock vent fan/noise maker with the Fan-Tastic 801250 RV Roof Vent.

I compared and read a lot of reviews about this fan and one by its main competitor, Maxx-Air. Since the Fan-Tastic was made in the USA, it was an easy choice. Like most other reviewers, I find that this fan is super-quiet on low, but kinda loud on high (just like almost every fan ever made). It was straightforward to install and included everything I needed EXCEPT the sealing materials, which I knew about. Make sure you know what you need and order appropriately. For my rubber roof, it was butyl tape and Dicor self-leveling sealant.

I opted against the remote control and self-opening vent because really, those are two options destined to fail. This fan has the manually-opened vent and the manual, 3-speed reversible control.

I also replaced the large plastic top cover, this with a Maxx-Air unit because I like the silver color.

Really, the hardest part of the whole job was removing the old sealing tape and Dicor sealant. With patience and a 1"-wide gasket scraper I got it cleaned up in about an hour. I also used some Korkay cleaner and denatured alcohol for the final prep.

While I had the hole open, I measured for and drilled a new hole for an additional dome light towards the back. I recently upgraded to LED bulbs in every dome light, so adding two additional LED bulbs won't hurt a thing. I tapped off the fan leads for power and it was a simple but nice addition.

We have an XT-200 and this fan really moves some air! On medium speed, with the fan set to exhaust and the door closed, the fresh air just pours into the camper from the bathroom vent. I'm thinking this fan and an open window or two will do a whole lot of our cooling work without the need for the big AC.

I can't say this fan is better than the Maxx-Air, because I have no way to compare. But I can say that this is a really great product. I'd even say it's, well, Fan-Tastic (and I'm sorry to do that to you all!)

vttimwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #2

Great report -- thanks for posting! You really aired it out. (Sorry -- one bad pun deserves another.)

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #3

When I ordered my unit and went thru the options with the dealer, they brought up the Fan-Tastic fan option I hadn't included. The wife of the dealer couldn't say enough good about it and for the minimal upcharge, opted to include it.

Haven't been one bit disappointed about that decision!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
Site Team

I upgraded to the Fantastic fan several years ago. I opted for the one with all the bells and whistles and love it. I really like that you can set it a certain temperature to turn on above and off below.

The original fan was so noisy you couldn't sleep with it on. You can barely hear this one and it shuts itself off when the temperature drops at night. One of the best upgrades I've made.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #5

Any pics of the swap?
snlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #6

We put the one with all the bells and whistles in our FF that we recently sold. They are great. My husband just installed one in our new old Shasta trailer yesterday. This one is like yours. But I think we will miss the remote. Too much $$ flying out of the checking account for this remodel. In this old fifth wheel they only had a fan in the bathroom. But luckily they had pre-wired the bedroom vent. Easy install.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #7

I heard that they are having noise problems with their recent fans. Changed to a cheaper motor and now they wine.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
I heard that they are having noise problems with their recent fans. Changed to a cheaper motor and now they wine.
Interesting- in their instructions, they mentioned that "filtered" DC voltage would not create noise, but that "un-filtered" DC voltage could. I didn't pay too much attention at the time, but I may look into that a little more now.

Our fan has the slightest whine when first turned on to low. But after a minute, perhaps two, it is practically inaudible. We do hear the whine on the medium and high speeds, but at those speeds there is also a good amount of noise just from the air movement, so it's not objectionable.

I'll look into a DC power conditioner and if I find anything interesting, I'll post back here.
vttimwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #9

Fantastic Fans are great, be careful when buying new units some sales guys will brag about the fantastic vents in some Fun Finders. Not even in the same league, one speed, one direction, moves minimal air and noisey. Silverado
Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
They were bought by Atwood a year or so ago. I've heard that some of the quality and service have suffered since then.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #11

The fan we bought last year was great as is the one we just bought. Just as good as the one we had in our old fifth wheel 27 years ago. Ever read Amazon reviews on any product you choose. They are all over the place...some love, some hate and some haven't even used the product yet. What are your alternatives to Fantastic! Maxxfan and
Maybe Heng? Don't knock something based on here say.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #12
Site Team

Not based on reading Amazon reviews. Actual problems people have reported on them on various RV forums. Mostly that they had changed motor suppliers. And the warranty is now 2 years. It used to be lifetime.

Still, it's probably the best one available IMHO.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #13

I was just saying that people have different opinions that vary greatly on everything, no matter what we are talking about. I used Amazon reviews as an example because they are well known and available. Also, satisfied customers are far less likely to review or gripe online. The forums only get s small sample of the people who actually buy a product.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #14

IMO all reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

Some places hire 'reviewers' to post good reviews about their product and bad reviews about a competing product.

Probably illeagal but that's fact of life.

;-O
Old 04-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
IMO all reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

Some places hire 'reviewers' to post good reviews about their product and bad reviews about a competing product.

Probably illeagal but that's fact of life.

;-O
True. Often on Amazon they will put "verified Amazon purchase". Probably for that reason.