Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #21

Search Page

RV codes available to order.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #22

I have the same tank under the camper. I wish mine was under the bed, would be in a heated space so no chance of freezing when I camp in freezing weather,

Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn marmot View Post
I have the same tank under the camper. I wish mine was under the bed, would be in a heated space so no chance of freezing when I camp in freezing weather,
I agree, but there are always trade offs with whatever setup you have. As for freezing, that would be a problem, but it is also a problem for the gray and black water hold tanks which are both under the floor in all models. So the moral of the story is be careful during winter camping and/or storage because any water left in these tanks can freeze and cause damage.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #24

On the other hand, if a small amount of water freezes in the tank there would most likely be little damage since it has a lot of room to expand in the space. There would be more danger if it was constrictedd to a small space.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #25
APD

Our fresh water tank sits on the floor under the right side bed. Only 23 gal or so. We're considering removing it and converting the area to storage. We never boondock anyway and the extra space would come in handy.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #26

Default tanks

One can always put some RV antifreeze in the black and gray water tanks. I read somewhere that to keep your fresh water tank from freezing, add some wine to it, the alcohol keeps it from freezing and it tastes good too, only problem might be one will smell like a wino after a shower!!!
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn marmot View Post
One can always put some RV antifreeze in the black and gray water tanks. I read somewhere that to keep your fresh water tank from freezing, add some wine to it, the alcohol keeps it from freezing and it tastes good too, only problem might be one will smell like a wino after a shower!!!

Well, it depends on:

1. How much water dilutes the wine added.
2. How much wine is added.

Because it depends on the alcohol content, but most wine will freeze at about 15 to 20 degrees F, and it would need to stay at that temperature for a while before it freezes solidly.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #28

Default Update on my original post.

After trying out my idea in the original post, I had mixed results. What was good was I was able to get most of the water out of the fresh water tank. What was bad is the water tasted like the pipe puddy/sealant I used to keep the system water/air tight so I could pump it through the draw tube. So after thinking about it for a couple of months, I came up with an even better solution.

I went to the local home improvement store in picked up a Watts Nylon hose barb elbow (1/2 inch ID X 1/2 inch MIP). What I discovered was a 1/2 inch OD
polyethylene tub fits snugly inside the 1/2 inch MIP end of the elbow. I roughened up the outside end of the tub and the inside of the elbow with 100 grit sandpaper, applied CYA medium glue to the outside of the tube and pushed it into the elbow. Although you don't normally bond nylon and polypropylene together, the process created enough of a bond where I could not pull the two apart which is good enough for this use. Below is a couple of pictures.

This setup will be reinserted into the water tank through the existing female connector, threads will be wrapped with teflon tape and the elbow with the draw tube inside will be screwed onto the tank.

Note: If you do this, make sure the natural curve of the draw tub is aligned/glued downward when the elbow is pointed towards the water pickup hose.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #29

A little off topic, but I sure like the dovetail marquetry on that vintage coffee table -- an afternoon with a random orbital sander, a few coats of poly, and you have a valuable piece of furniture!

Also, good job on the water tank!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Well, it depends on:

1. How much water dilutes the wine added.
2. How much wine is added.

Because it depends on the alcohol content, but most wine will freeze at about 15 to 20 degrees F, and it would need to stay at that temperature for a while before it freezes solidly.

I have just been draining the tank and hoses; then, add antifreeze to the hoses, drains in all sinks, shower, black tank, and pump (Not to the Fresh Water Tank or HW heater) and have not had any problems yet. In the spring, I flush the hoses and pump, then flush the FW tank a couple times... add a bit of clorox to the tank and hoses and let stand a few hours. Flush all that out and flush a couple more times to clear the clorox smell and taste, and finally fill the tank, hoses, and hot water heater... I carry extra water, but use the holding tank for drinking as well as cooking and washing needs... No bad taste and works well for me...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #31

Ditto. But we use a Brita pitcher for drinking and coffee water.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:22 PM   #32

Yup, bleach works well to sanitized the potable water system using the method detailed in the link below.

However, I detest the aroma of bleach and never enter a pool due to chlorine smell so I use Sodium Dichlor instead of bleach as also detailed in the link below. It's simpler and easier way to obtain the same results in less time and messing around.

How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System

Old 05-05-2017, 03:09 AM   #33

giving this tip a try (the updated version) on my XT-245 toy hauler with frame mounted tank...

I pulled out my pickup tube 90 connector and bought 3 feet of 1/2" OD by 3/8"
ID clear tubing from local RV parts store. It fits snugly inside the connector. Will superglue and insert it into the tank tomorrow.

I will post a pic of how sloppy Cruiser designed the tank supports which basically allowed the entire tank to sag in the middle. They ran the water lines for the sink as well as a gas line at the bottom of the tank and then put the center support braces below that leaving a 1-2" gap between the tank and the support braces. The lines should have been run above the tank then they could have attached the braces level to the tank. Basically the way they did it allows the water tank to fully sag in the center until it drops down 2" and then catches the supports they installed preventing it from completely dropping out. I ended up wedging some plywood in between the support braces and the tank on the outer 2 supports to fill the gap, and a 2x4 section on the center brace as the gap was much larger here.

I also discovered 2 of the cross brace rods in the frame in the area that holds the water tank have snapped their welds and are hanging loose due to the sloppyness of the water tank movement.

Just ordered a cheapie gas-less MIG welder on-line to take care of fixing this and a few other things.
deezel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezel85 View Post

I will post a pic of how sloppy Cruiser designed the tank supports which basically allowed the entire tank to sag in the middle. They ran the water lines for the sink as well as a gas line at the bottom of the tank and then put the center support braces below that leaving a 1-2" gap between the tank and the support braces. The lines should have been run above the tank then they could have attached the braces level to the tank. Basically the way they did it allows the water tank to fully sag in the center until it drops down 2" and then catches the supports they installed preventing it from completely dropping out. I ended up wedging some plywood in between the support braces and the tank on the outer 2 supports to fill the gap, and a 2x4 section on the center brace as the gap was much larger here.

I also discovered 2 of the cross brace rods in the frame in the area that holds the water tank have snapped their welds and are hanging loose due to the sloppyness of the water tank movement.

Just ordered a cheapie gas-less MIG welder on-line to take care of fixing this and a few other things.
Hope the fix works for your water pick up. Mine works very well. As for the tank sagging, I suspect that is how it was designed. Also mine has no brace below the tank so that maybe something I will do this summer.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #35
APD

Our water tank sits on the floor so it's supported very well. We've never used it. I do use the pump to winterize and sanitize by placing the suction hose into a gallon container but that's all.
Thinking of removing the tank altogether as, given our little dudes size, having the extra storage space would be nice.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 05-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
Our water tank sits on the floor so it's supported very well. We've never used it. I do use the pump to winterize and sanitize by placing the suction hose into a gallon container but that's all.
Thinking of removing the tank altogether as, given our little dudes size, having the extra storage space would be nice.

Alan
You never use it???
Old 05-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #37
APD

No Mich we've never boondocked so we always have hookups. We have stayed at a few state parks without sewer but they had water/electric.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 05-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #38

Quote:
No Mich we've never boondocked so we always have hookups. We have stayed at a few state parks without sewer but they had water/electric.

Alan
We fill our water before leaving with our own water. We having amazing clear well water here and even 20 miles away the water tastes bad. We also put some in a Brita pitcher before we leave. We have never used full hookups in the last year. But our trips have been short jaunts. We have bigger tanks and a tub now so we may shower in the camper. Not sure. Were penny pinchers also in some ways.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:28 AM   #39

Quote:

Alan
Total opposite here. I've only had water hookups twice, and power hook ups once in 4 years of RV camping.. Never a sewer hookup.

I usually avoid campgrounds with hookups because its too expensive and not worth it. Our local provincial parks that have water/power charge $30-45 Canadian dollars a night and the private campgrounds can be even higher than that and have sewer. We usually camp in rustic regional campsites for $15/night or less. Some campsites are free around here if you can beat the others to a site first. They have no running water, have to bring it in. All they provide, Garbage bins, outhouses, picnic table and firepit ring.

I have full power setup on board anyways, its only the 35 gal water tank that really restricts us. a 4 day long weekend is tight to manage with the 2 of us however we do manage to get at least 1-2 quick showers each in.
deezel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:08 AM   #40

Quote:

Alan
We usually fill the water tank about half full before leaving so have water when on the road for whatever & bathroom use.

Vast majority of stays are with full hookups as much preferred ~ but have the Honda gens for the few times a year stay w/o full hookups. They have been lifesavers a few times had to 'walmart park' overnight in 100 degree heat so take them along & extra fuel too. Also carry tire plug kit & small 120V air compressor "in case."