Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #1

Default fridge fan

Has anyone tried the little battery powered fridge fan that you place on the bottom shelf? They are purported to increase the cooling circulation in your fridge and eliminate extra cold areas that tend to freeze things like canned drinks etc. Do they work?

flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:18 AM   #2

I actually installed a solar fan behind my fridge took about an hour to install and made a big difference on how cold my fidg stays now

queball110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #3

Thx cueball. How much cost that, and did it take much to hook up? My problem is not keeping the fridge cool, but more evenly distributing the cool temp. Some spots in the fridge are too cold.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman
Thx cueball. How much cost that, and did it take much to hook up? My problem is not keeping the fridge cool, but more evenly distributing the cool temp. Some spots in the fridge are too cold.
Its actully a fan with a solar panel that camping world sells for about 50 bucks i took the 4 screws out of the fridge disconected the electric and gas line and me and my brother slid the fridge out and sat it on the table then went on the the roof and screwed the solar panel to the fridge vent passed the wire down threw it screwed the fan on the back just abouve the condensor and put it all back together
Old 12-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #5

Default fridge fan

thx cueball. sorry I do not have a smart bro who would help me remove the fridge and hook up. sounds like getting ready for a space shot to me. I found a small battery powered version that sits on the bottom shelf and does a great job of moving cold air around. battery life is not great, but considering what you were challenged with, methinks I will buy many batteries.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Site Team

I think you guys are talking about 2 different things. The fan that queball is talking about moves air across the refrigerator condensor improving the heat exchange to the outside and improving the cooling ability. The fan that fbman is talking about circulates the air inside the fridge so you don't get cold or warm spots. I've heard these are available pretty cheap and do a good job. A friend has one and claims it works great but I've not tried one myself so I can't for sure. Camping World has a couple of them for less than $20 but from the reviews they are kinda cheap quality and break easily.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ
I think you guys are talking about 2 different things. The fan that queball is talking about moves air across the refrigerator condensor improving the heat exchange to the outside and improving the cooling ability. The fan that fbman is talking about circulates the air inside the fridge so you don't get cold or warm spots. I've heard these are available pretty cheap and do a good job. A friend has one and claims it works great but I've not tried one myself so I can't for sure. Camping World has a couple of them for less than $20 but from the reviews they are kinda cheap quality and break easily.
Yeah mine just helps move the heat out of the condensor. My fridge always got warm durning the day in the summer and would get cold at night but with the fan helping pull the heat out.