Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #1

Default Fun Finder Solar Install Part 1

I decided to start a new post to tell the story of my solar installation. While waiting for Amazon to deliver my solar panel, cables and charge controller, I started my battery rack project. The rack is bolted under the right side of the TT just forward of the tires. I used 1" angle iron and welded a hinged rack...see photos at the following link:

The battery rack is bolted to the strut extensions which Cruiser welded to the I-beam to support the TT floor. My rack is approximately 33" long and has plenty of length for two battery boxes end to end. I plan to feed the battery cables through a hole in the floor of my cargo compartment down to the battery rack area. As I said in a previous post, the battery rack's location achieves several purposes which were important for me, but perhaps not for you. 1) The 6 volt golf cart type batteries weigh about 130 lbs. together...more than I wanted on my tongue. Now the weight is much closer to the axles. 2) These lead acid type batteries need ventilation so I could not place them in the cargo area without building an elaborate sealed and vented box. (can't afford sealed batteries...the cost of the deep cycle golf cart batteries is bad enough). 3) From what I have read, it is important to have the solar charge controller as close to the batteries as possible. It will be installed on the inside wall of the cargo area just above the battery rack area.
This afternoon I took delivery of my solar panel and cables so I plan to start on installing them tomorrow. More in part 2.[/img]

2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Very nice! Looking forward to the updates.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #3

I finally got around to checking your install. I am wondering, what if I want to add four 6V batteries? I have a 24 foot 230DS with two slideouts with dual axle. Looking for mount suggestions to remove them from the tongue (I only have two now but want to increase to four). Any suggestions using the under mount as you have it?

Thanks in advance.
qtla9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #4

I'm interested in doing something similar. I'll keep an eye on this one, too.
guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #5

Chris, thanks for reviving this thread! I have often wanted to do something with those triangular strut extensions – it looks like a lot of real estate that could be more gainfully employed.

Would there be enough ground clearance if the batteries were mounted in that area? And will you have enough tongue weight when the batteries are moved to the area near the axle?
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:44 PM   #6

I found that my tongue weight remained approximately the same when I went from the original marine type battery on the tongue to two heavier 6v batteries plus rack just forward of the tires. (See my photos in the earlier post) I don't know what the area forward of the tires looks like on various Cruiser models, but I found lots of room and my 189 is one of the shorter models. Note the rack is hinged for easier access to check cables and acid levels.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtla9111 View Post
I finally got around to checking your install. I am wondering, what if I want to add four 6V batteries? I have a 24 foot 230DS with two slideouts with dual axle. Looking for mount suggestions to remove them from the tongue (I only have two now but want to increase to four). Any suggestions using the under mount as you have it?

Thanks in advance.
My 2012 FF X189FBS is among the earliest Cruiser models to have overslung axles where the whole TT rides higher making it possible to have flush-floor slides. Although there are definite downsides to this axle configuration, it does open up (to quote someone else) lots of "extra real estate" under the trailer with lots of ground clearance. Perhaps this is the case with your model too?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybmoto View Post
I'm interested in doing something similar. I'll keep an eye on this one, too.
My solar install series has four or five parts for anyone who might be interested. Only Part 1 is cited above.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #9

4 X 12 Volt deep cycle Interstate RV batteries. Right behind the propane tanks. Equalizer hitch - no problems with that weight on the tongue.
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender-7.jpg  

runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote