Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #1

Default Fun Finder Solar Install Part 3

This is the 3rd and final part of my solar installation where I do the system wiring and connect the panel, batteries and charge controller together. It turns out that the most time-consuming part of the whole installation was creating my own schematic of how the trailer is wired from the junction box on the tongue to the subpanel inside. I needed to determine where each wire led and what its function is. This complication is really not necessary if you keep the current battery location on the tongue and run the cables from there to the charge controller. However, as I explained in part 1, it was important for me to place the 130 pounds of batteries closer to the axles (see photo) and to keep the length of the cables as short as possible. Because of that, I had to re-route cables to a new battery location. I chose the cargo compartment rear wall to place the charge controller (see photo) close to the batteries and to keep it within 3' of the separate digital display. You can see I screwed that to a wall inside of the trailer so I can monitor how the system is doing.

In the last photo, you can see the panel on the roof soaking up our California sun. We leave on Thursday for about 5 days of dry camping in Quartzsite, AZ. We'll see if the 100 watt solar panel can keep us up and running the whole time. If not, I'll have my Honda 2000 along.
[/URL][/img]
[/URL][/img]
[/URL][/img]
[/URL][/img]

2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:36 AM   #2

Great job.

Thanks for the pictures.

getzold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:59 AM   #3
Site Team

Very nice!
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #4

Default Funfinder Solar Install

You did a great job and the pictures are very helpful.
We also have a FF 189 FBS and really enjoy it. We use the Renogy 100W portable (suitcase style) solar panel when dry camping. Works good at keeping our battery charged but does require some effort to set up and position. I have often wondered how a solar panel could be mounted on the roof of our TT and if it would provide the power needed to maintain our battery. Please let us know how your solar panel is performing in the future.
Thanks again for sharing your solar installation, it looks very professional.
mthiker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #5

Thumbs up Solar Install

The install was helpful. I have a 2011, and am just getting to installing mine ... thanks for the info provided!
I see you no longer have the FF, but I would like to know how long you had it with the solar and did you encounter any additional issues with your install? (Panels on the roof, etc)
tnd.black3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #6

Default Solar is Good

Yep - Solar is a good thing. Not cheap, not "easy" or a fast install. But great for being off the grid. Well that and putting two hondas over the propane tank!
Attached Thumbnails
solar.jpg  
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner421 View Post
Yep - Solar is a good thing. Not cheap, not "easy" or a fast install. But great for being off the grid. Well that and putting two hondas over the propane tank!
Now that's a lot of solar panels. Unfortunately it would never work for me because when I camp I always try to do it under some shade.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote