Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #1

Default Generators

You folks always have such helpful, creative advice.....let me run this up the flagpole.

FFx139, town & country minivan, 55 yr. old weakling female, pennypinching, college prof.

Got my sights on a generator at Tractor Supply. Weight = 109 pounds. Large enough to run the AC - built in RV plug etc. Now I know it's not gonna be whisper quiet, but Hondas cost 4 x as much AND weigh more. They won't let me start one up in the store - but swear to it's lower noise level.

No way am I gonna be able to lift this thing. Even after putting on the wheel kit...... Sons can help at home, but out on the road, can I just leave it in the van? Some kind of ramp? Serious weigh lifting training over next winter?

Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #2

Default Re: Generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Even after putting on the wheel kit...... Sons can help at home, but out on the road, can I just leave it in the van? Some kind of ramp? Serious weigh lifting training over next winter?
I'd suggest some kind of folding motorcycle or quad loading ramp.

As far as leaving it inside the van? I'm picking up a new Honda generator this week, and this was in the owner's manual...

Quote:
Exhaust contains poisonous carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless
gas. Breathing carbon monoxide can cause loss of consciousness
and may lead to death.
If you run the generator in an area that is confined, or even partly
enclosed area, the air you breathe could contain a dangerous
amount of exhaust gas.
Never run your generator inside a garage, house, or near open
windows or doors.
I'd also be worried about the gas and/or exhaust smell lingering afterwards.

guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Site Team

No don't leave it in the van! Any generator will need to be outside with plenty of ventilation.

Also I looked at the one you are considering and decided against it because of the noise. It will be loud when you put a load on it. Its also not an inverter style generator - like the Honda & others which give you more stable voltage if you plan on running a laptop or something similar

I ended up getting a Honda that I found on Craigslist. It was brand new & I paid $1500. Still not cheap but a lot less than from a dealer. It is super quiet. You can barely hear it running.

If you're concerned about the weight Honda makes the 2000 watt model which only weighs about 50 lbs. It won't run the AC alone but 2 of them can be run in tandem to power the AC. Check your local Craigslist or even Ebay for used ones and might find them for a reasonable price.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #4

Default Generator

I will concur with LJAZ, we just used our generator, Honda 2000, for the first time this past weekend, and it powered the refrigerator, microwave, TV, 2 lights and the pump all at the same time with no problem. I used our shore power cord and placed the generator as far to the read of the trailer as possible.When only running the TV in the econo mode we could not hear it running above the sound of the TV. My wife was able to lift it out of the rear of our puck up truck.
Best price I found was at Camping World $950 including at $50 coupon a friend gave me plus free shipping.

2011 Cheveolet 2500HD 4x4
Intergtated Brake Controller
ARE Camper Shell
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Honda EU2000ia
Days Camped/2011/37 4200 Miles Towing
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #5

After a lot of reading & attempting to educate myself (thanks for all these posts) I am awaiting FedEx delivery of a "Kipor Sinemaster KGE3000THI Quiet Portable Inverter Generator with Handlebar". Very similar in the specs to a Honda 3000, better price. Time will tell.
I'm really only in need for the occasional beach trip and one NASCAR outing per summer? Fingers are crossed for delivery by this Friday, Outer Banks are calling my name. MIS in August.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Site Team

An inverter generator is the type you want. Quiter and more steady power. Let us know it works out!
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #7

Generator arrived yesterday and fired right up. Son is impressed with the quiet level. I can lift it into the trailer alone but up into the van is tough. AC runs well (but not combined with the microwave.) Bought a big chain to protect my investment Leaving with it Monday for NC.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #8

I have many years of experience with generators and generator issues. The Honda's are quiet and heavy due to they use a large motor to turn the generator but at way lower RPM than the motors spec so it is quiet, like idling your car. The Coleman's and the like run the motors at capacity and thus produce noise.

I have an 5K Watt Coleman Extended Run and it is as loud as all get out! You can change the muffler but with little benefit as the actual generator and motor create the noise not the muffler.

To run the trailer to capacity you need at least a 20 amp output, 30 amp best.

The AC and Microwave are your killer! The other items can run on propane.
Outther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #9

This Kipor ran quite well. In 3 different campsites we were in the row closest to the ocean and that wind just wooshed the noise away? It's not quite as quiet as a Honda but far less than the basic $300 open frame type. We learned not to let it run dry (bugger to restart). The few times I microwaved, I turned the AC off for a few minutes. With the AC on high it turns the entire trailer (all 13 ft) frigid within minutes By the time we got up to Assateague, we mostly used it to charge phones/ipod. It IS heavy...but for this trip I was in the fine company of my 16 yr. old son!