Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #1

Default Generators

Looking for a generator for my x-160. Don't want to drop a ton of cash on it, but I want something fairly light and quiet. I live in LV, NV so I need something that will run my AC in the 110 degree summers. Any suggestions on brands and models?

aubbenslv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Site Team

I'm guessing that you have a 13500 btu AC unit, if so that will require a 3000 watt generator to run. If you want quiet you'll need an inverter generator similar to a Honda or Yamaha. I have the Honda EU3000 but I wouldn't describe it as light. It weighs 130 lbs. But it is very quiet and will run the AC all night long on less than a single tank of gas. It's a bit pricy at ~$2000, although I got mine off of Craigs list for a lot less than that. And there are some other brands out there like Kipor that are cheaper but I have no experience with them.

The open frame generators like those from Champion can be had for couple hundred bucks but they are LOUD.

Another option is go with 2 smaller units in tandem I know Honda sells a 2000W unit that can be hooked up with another one. They weigh less than 50 lbs so they are pretty light but they list for around $1200 each, so even more pricey to go that route, unless you can find them used on Craigs List or Ebay. There may be other less expensive brands available as well.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ
I'm guessing that you have a 13500 btu AC unit, if so that will require a 3000 watt generator to run. If you want quiet you'll need an inverter generator similar to a Honda or Yamaha. I have the Honda EU3000 but I wouldn't describe it as light. It weighs 130 lbs. But it is very quiet and will run the AC all night long on less than a single tank of gas. It's a bit pricy at ~$2000, although I got mine off of Craigs list for a lot less than that. And there are some other brands out there like Kipor that are cheaper but I have no experience with them.

The open frame generators like those from Champion can be had for couple hundred bucks but they are LOUD.

Another option is go with 2 smaller units in tandem I know Honda sells a 2000W unit that can be hooked up with another one. They weigh less than 50 lbs so they are pretty light but they list for around $1200 each, so even more pricey to go that route, unless you can find them used on Craigs List or Ebay. There may be other less expensive brands available as well.
I have the "other" Honda 3000. I believe it's closer to 80 pounds. But it's also a smaller size engine, and also a smaller fuel tank. I believe it's close in price, though, and it works great.
guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #4

Thanks!
aubbenslv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #5

Depending on what you want to run with the A/C running, you may be able to get by with a 2000 watt unit. While the 3000 watt Honda is a nice generator (I have one...runs my whole house when the power goes out; everything but the water heater and stove-they're 240v) it is heavy (remember I have one! ). The Honda 2000 will run your 13.5k btu A/C unit and other appliances if you don't try to have the A/C on and then fire up the microwave while your wife is using a hair dryer...

The 2000 model Honda (and "blue" Yamaha) are very popular models with RVers. Modest weight (~80 lbs), very quiet, very reliable. Many RVers will use two of them in parallel (they make kits for that) instead of the one heavier 3000 watt model. The 2000, is, of course, more fuel stingy, and if they don't need more current than one will provide, they leave the second one off...if they need more "juice", they can fire them both up. Most, though, can get by with just one 2000 watt unit if they are mindful of current usage.

There are several sites on the internet that list the normal current requirements for various RV type appliances if you want to sit down and actually figure out your current requirements for various scenarios.

Just more food for thought...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #6

We have the Fun Finder extra 275 wich is a much bigger trailer. I have been looking for a generator for a few years now and did a lot of research. I was pretty much sold on the Honda EU3000i but after more research, it states that it will run MOST 13.5 BTU a/c units. I spoke with some other owners and some say you had to shut everything else off to run the a/c especially the microwave and some say it did not have enough juice to start the unit at all. A/C's always take more watts to start than to actually run the unit. Low and behold, I saved up for an extra year and bught the EU6500. the unit is heavy, but it's on wheels and being that we have the toyhauler it rolls in and out with no problems. I even opted to buy the APC transfer switch for our home which is so cool. The panel is so smart it will actually shut circuits down automatically to power just about the whole house. It was a bit more, $3800 for the generator and another 500 for the transfer switch and cables, but not only do I have an awesome quiet generator, but also a piece of mind at the house
Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #7

I have the Yamaha EF2400is and it runs the AC without a problem. It also fits perfectly under the dinette when traveling. It's about 75lb vs 135 for the Honda EU3000is. I paid about $1200 for it from Wise sales. Before I bought the Yamaha I rented a Honda EU2000is to try it out. It did start the AC but the generator sounded like it was in overload. It was really load and I was worried it would die. The Yamaha just revs up a bit but still runs quietly. I use a Honda EU3000is at work, but I couldn't imagine trying to lift that into the trailer.

2008 189FBR
2007 FJ cruiser
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller
Yamaha EF2400is generator
chupp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #8

We also have the Yamaha EF2400ISHC and it runs our 13,500 air just fine but yes We have to turn off the air to run the Microwave. It uses very little fuel and is quiet running.
Good luck on your choice,
ArizAl
ArizAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:19 AM   #9

After considering your requirements the only option I have got for you is Honda generator eu3000is. It’s reliable, efficient and super quiet plus can a good amount of load. So, obviously it perfectly suit your needs.
bitson_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #10

The Boliy or the new Champion. Half the price, lighter, just as quiet and proven reliability. Great service from Bottom Line Trading.
http://www.bottomlinetrading.com/BOLIY.html

Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote