Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #1

Default Getting loose (maybe a little too loose)

I'd noticed lately that the entry door step was getting a little springy, felt like it was sagging, and had developed a squeak, so I figured it was time to check the mounting bolts.

Well...the one on the left side doubles up with one of the bolts that mount the trailer body to the chassis...and it was a little loose. Snugged it up with a 1/2-inch wrench, and the step felt a lot better, and the squeak was gone. Just for giggles, I started checking the rest of the bolts that mount the upper portion of the trailer to the frame, and discovered that nearly all of them weren't very tight...and one or two were way on the loose side (see the photo below) and one was missing the nut completely.

The one in the photo is just forward of the front wheels.

Anyone have any idea how snug these should be? Tight-tight? Or just snug to give them some room to move a bit as things flex?

I know I've got a ton of miles in on mine, and have had lots of road vibration, but I was surprised. I'm thinking of finding some replacements Nylock nuts so it doesn't happen again. Might be worth a peek on your trailers.

guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
TCP

Default loctite

a bottle of blue loctite can be your best friend.

TCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #3

...and likely will be.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Site Team

From the photo it looks like there's a flat washer with a lock washer & nut. That isn't an assembly that would be used to allow for movement or flexing. If not tight the nut will work its way loose as you've discovered. It should be pretty tight and there should really be a torque specification available from Cruiser. If not you can get a pretty good idea here:

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque.htm

Maybe your's were installed on a Monday, but I'm going to check mine just to be sure.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #5

Yep, just sharing experiences. I figure if mine were loose, so are someone else's.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybmoto
Yep, just sharing experiences. I figure if mine were loose, so are someone else's.

....LOL....made me look ! Yep, about half of mine needed snugging up. Thanks for the reminder

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote