Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Default Got new tires for the girl.

Well I finally decided to get new tires for my FF189FBR. When I was working on the brakes last month, I checked the dates on the tires and discovered the were the originals manufactured in Oct 2009!. Never had any trouble with them, but 10 year old tires need to be retired. Did some checking around and found a review that highly recommended Carlisle Trail HD 100 M Radials. Discount Tire had them for $83 each, but they matched Amazons price of $55 each. Four tires mounted and balance was $320.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 AM   #2

Let us know how your Carlisle tires stand up and track.

I replaced factory tires this spring with Goodyear Endurance (D rated) and find they are far more stable and track better than the factory china one's that came on the toy hauler. Also the Goodyear Endurance have a speed rating of 87 MPH so can travel at 70 - 75 MPH instead of limited to 65 MPH.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #3

Eagle - Will do.

For what it's worth, the Carlisle Trail HD is also speed rated up to 81 mph. However I would never want to go over 65 mph given that I'm pulling with a Highlander.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:58 PM   #4

It's good that tire manufacturers are starting to give us "small" camper/trailer owners better choices for those 14-in tires. D-rated for loads and 8-ply ratings are still a challenge to find in the 14-inch size, especially if you're replacing a tire on the trip without much time to research sources that stock them.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #5

For what it's worth, the Carlisle Trail HD comes in both a C and D load rating. I opted for the C rating since my trailer is only 3700 pounds fully loaded. Each C rated tire has a load capacity of 1760 pounds for a combined loading capacity of over 7000 pounds. Heck, I could even loose a tire and still be within the carrying limits with the remaining three.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #6

the only other tires I considered is the Maxxis brand tires....but due to limited retail centers, opted for Goodyear Endurance.

Both Maxxis and Goodyear Endurance trailer (ST) tires come in 14" too.