Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #1

Default gotta do something about....

two things on our little t139. we stayed in it for 5 days at a gathering. there was lots of rain those days, but happily, no leaks. when we hitched up to leave, and lowered the front, A LOT of water ran off. we were living in the camper, so I didn't want it to be un level. but what to do about the puddling on top? raise one side briefly after a rainstorm? figure a way to get some arc to the roof?

also, my idea of the 4 boards replacing the table was good, but not good enough. making the bed up every night is tough. I'm thinking of some kind of slide out supports. a smaller table, slid under the bed at night works pretty well.

crazy idea....the drivers side dinette bench has nothing under it. maybe a table and chairs there and a fold out bed on the other side? just tossing ideas around. I should just go back out camping.

Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Team

You can set up your trailer so that one corner is just slightly lower. Just enough for water to run off, but not so much that you notice it.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #3

good idea, I suppose the fridge wouldn't notice it . maybe the corner the door is at should be lower. an inch or two?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
Site Team

No fridge won't be affected - it only needs to be close to level. Probably want the low side away from the door, otherwise you might end up with cold shower going in & out.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:34 AM   #5

Hilda, we find that as our trips got longer and longer, the space under the dinette benches became more and more useful. True, it is not easy to get stuff in and out through those hatches, but it is a tiny trailer, so stuff is going to be cramped -- no way around it.

And that is also why we stayed with a full table that drops down to become the base of the bed -- we don't have to worry about where to store the table, because it is always in one place or the other. As I may have mentioned, we abandoned the stock MDF table -- too heavy, too weak -- and replaced it with a custom table made of laminated baltic birch ply. Much lighter and stronger.

Bottom line -- life is a series of compromises, and a very small trailer involves tradeoffs. Easy to tow, easy to park and store, but cramped. Fortunately, humans are very adaptable -- we can get used to almost anything, including the minor hassle of having to change the table into a bed every night.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #6

very true, all. avoid cold and unexpected showers! plus stepping out will dip the corner even a bit further...
and we have already decided to return to the table supporting the bed, only one thing to put into place. and to make a table like yours instead of the horribly heavy one it came with.
I usually store all the bedding under the bench, and that works well, when we just used the table. I guess shuffling around 4 boards added to the steps and added weight on the bench lid. live and learn
thanks guys!
Old 07-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
APD

Talking

Our floor plan on the FK model is totally different with small twin beds that double as benches.
We also did away with the poor factory table and use a smaller folding table. We built a night stand/storage cabinet at the rear between the beds.
It's zero work to go from sleeping to breakfast. The front kitchen was, evidently, phased out as I haven't seen but one other and that was online. It either wasn't a popular choice or cost a few cents more to make.
Attached Thumbnails
2-6-11-2.JPG  
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #8

oh man, do you want to trade??
Old 07-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #9
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
oh man, do you want to trade??
Hilda, I'd be afraid to run that idea by "The Management".
She would probably trade me first......
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #10

ah well, worth a try. I do like that layout!