Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 08:59 AM   #1

Default H E L P - Water Pump Won't Shut Off...

I brought the trailer over to my driveway this morning to flush out the pink stuff. Turned the two valves to the opposite of the position they were in. Pump won't shut off and all faucets are sputtering air and pink stuff.

Water has gotten a bit clearer, but still just mostly sputtering air...

At first I thought the pump was just filling up the hot water tank, but should it take so long to fill? And also, the cold water faucets are sputtering...

There is no water coming out anywhere under the trailer. I filled the tank maybe half full with the hose before I started all this.

HELP!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #2

When I flush the pink antifreeze out of mine, I don't fill the on board water tank. I hook the water hose from the house to the canper "city water connection" and run fresh water thru the faucets and outside shower thingy.

And I wish there was an easy way to disconnect the outside shower thingy.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #3

Default Solved It!

Whew...while waiting for advice, I went back out to the trailer and thought...hmmm, the driveway is pretty "slanty" away from the house (for drainage). Perhaps I did NOT put in enough water in the fresh tank to fill the hot water tank and that the pump was maybe just sucking air.

TA-DA! Sucking air it was! I took the patience to fill up the tank until it overflowed. Then tried the pump again. Did a little pumping and shut off. Then I turned the hot water heater valve back on, pump came on for a while (while filling the HW heater) and then it stopped! YAY!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
When I flush the pink antifreeze out of mine, I don't fill the on board water tank. I hook the water hose from the house to the canper "city water connection" and run fresh water thru the faucets and outside shower thingy.

I filled the fresh tank cuz I also want to "sterilize" it with some bleach in the water. Doing that now. Oops...forgot to run the outside hose thing to "Bleach Smell"...
Old 05-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #5

Michelle, now that the immediate problem is solved, let's talk about your pickup hose inside your water tank -- the fact that you got some sputtering on a slanted surface may indicate that your trailer has the same problem that mine did. I discovered that mine was located a couple of inches above the bottom of my tank, which meant that although I had a 30 gallon tank, I could not get more than about 20 gallons out before the pump would quit.

So I had my dealer relocate the pickup to the middle bottom of the tank -- the natural sag of the tank means that the hose is at the lowest point, and I can get all of the water in the tank.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #6

would I be able to see my pick up hose with a flashlight? I'll go see if I can see it. Why in the world would they build it that way???? Jeesh!
Old 05-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle

I filled the fresh tank cuz I also want to "sterilize" it with some bleach in the water. Doing that now. Oops...forgot to run the outside hose thing to "Bleach Smell"...

Ok, understand. I flush the lines of antifreeze first, then fill the tank for sterilization with some bleach and run that thru the lines as well. Just different methods for the same results.

Anyway, glad you discovered what the issue was with the pump pushing air.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #8

double post deleted
Old 05-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #9

Eagle, I'm glad I figured it out, too! Last thing I wanted to do was schlepp it back to the dealer...

So, here's a pic of my tank - the hose enters the tank at the exact middle in the back...seems to me that the hose will go down to the bottom center (deepest point)??

Looking at this picture, do you think I should do something to secure that lose dangling hose to the tank itself? Or is it fine as it is? Maybe staple it into the tank so it's tight? (aw, I'm just kidding on that...)

And re-reading Dan's post, I see you said it was above the bottom of the tank, not toward the side. So, how do I check its depth inside the tank? How'd you figure it out?
Old 05-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Eagle, I'm glad I figured it out, too! Last thing I wanted to do was schlepp it back to the dealer...

So, here's a pic of my tank - the hose enters the tank at the exact middle in the back...seems to me that the hose will go down to the bottom center (deepest point)??

Looking at this picture, do you think I should do something to secure that lose dangling hose to the tank itself? Or is it fine as it is? Maybe staple it into the tank so it's tight? (aw, I'm just kidding on that...)

And re-reading Dan's post, I see you said it was above the bottom of the tank, not toward the side. So, how do I check its depth inside the tank? How'd you figure it out?
Michelellep
Your tank mounting is somewhat different than mine, that is mine is supported on each side like yours but also on the forward/rear sides too and does not 'hang down' in the center as severely as yours.

The dangling line should be no problem unless it would catch something on the roadway going in/out of a campsite or ?? No idea how to secure it to the tank other than, maybe, gluing it with a hot glue gun.

I don't recall exactly where the line is on my tank. It's sprinkling/raining today (1st time this year as been super dry) so not going out to crawl under and look right now. Can you see thru the tank where the line reaches to inside the tank?
Old 05-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #11
TCP

the hose just ends at a fitting on the side of the tank. It doesn't extend into the tank at all. Any water below the fitting on the side of the tank is unusable. Mine comes in the side of the the tank at about the same height from the bottom. I also braced the "bulging" bottom of the tank with angle aluminum pieces and strapping. If you look at where the tank is actually held, it's got a bit of a "T" shape at the top and the edges of the T are tucked under some metal of the frame...maybe an inch or two under the metal. It's not unheard of to have the water tank flex enough when it's full and hitting bumps while driving to slip out of the frame supports and drop out onto the road.

It's been discussed:

http://www.funfinderclub.com/phpBB2/...pic.php?t=1567
TCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #12

I figured out that there was a problem when we went camping and a 30 gallon tank only lasted three days, and we use about six gallons a day! So then, when we got home, I filled it up and then emptied the tank, using the shower, into a pre-measured bucket. Sure enough, it was sucking air after 20 gal.

So then I called the dealer and he said that the pickup point was too high -- there was a lot of water (10 gal!) puddled in the saggy bottom.

He moved the pickup point to the low point. It was not an easy job for him. As I recall, they did not charge me for it, since this was (in essence) a factory problem -- what good is it to lug around 30 gallons, when you can only get 20?
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139
...what good is it to lug around 30 gallons, when you can only get 20?
That's EXACTLY how I feel!
I'd rather use that 80+ pounds for wine...just sayin'.

Seriously, why would the factory be doing that?
Old 05-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139
...what good is it to lug around 30 gallons, when you can only get 20?
That's EXACTLY how I feel!
I'd rather use that 80+ pounds for wine...just sayin'.

Seriously, why would the factory be doing that?

Perhaps some highly educated, well paid engineers' design!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #15

EAGLE:

I disconnected my outdoor shower since we never used it. In my Shadow Cruiser the connection was located under the bathroom sink where the city water connection comes in. I disconnected the hot and cold hoses and bought caps to cap off the hose connections. Now I don't have to remember to winterize that outdoor shower and it gave us more room in the cabinet under the sink since I took out those hoses!
2006 Dodge Durango Hemi
Palmerton Pa
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS
EAGLE:

I disconnected my outdoor shower since we never used it. In my Shadow Cruiser the connection was located under the bathroom sink where the city water connection comes in. I disconnected the hot and cold hoses and bought caps to cap off the hose connections. Now I don't have to remember to winterize that outdoor shower and it gave us more room in the cabinet under the sink since I took out those hoses!
In the XT276 the exposed hoses under the bath sink only lead to the sink. Once it warms up a bit again (in the 30's w/rain that past couple of days and snow flakes came down this AM) I'll have to look underneath and see if I can find the lines leading to the outside shower.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #17

Well, all of this explains why I got no water pressure from the pump this weekend. I filled the tank until the 1/3 full light came on to make surte the sensor was working (our gray water sensor is not, for which it is going back to the dealer in a couple of months). Had the pump going and it wouldn't stop - 10 minutes I called it off....

WSKinVA is offline   Reply With Quote