Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #1

Default Has anyone modified the FF bathroom?

I am interested in ideas regarding expanding the size of the shower space within the bathroom area in my 2007 189FD. I have seen smaller RVs with bathrooms which are basically all shower with a toilet in the middle and a smaller corner sink molded into the shower surround. You stand near or around the toilet while showering. The entire floor area of the bathroom is a shower pan with a raised dam which you step over when entering the bathroom. I am 6' 3" and would like to shower in my FF from time to time, but the tiny corner shower is just too small. I would gladly give up the more traditional look of separate sink cabinet, toilet, and shower area in order to achieve this goal. Anyone already done this or do you have links to RV interior manufacturers who supply such modular components?

2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #2

I imagine you could probably move to another lightweight unit with a larger bathroom for cheaper than you could modify the restroom in the manner you described. An X-210 bathroom for example would probably suit you better (The X-160 actualyl has a stool/shower combo as you describe). Beyond that maybe look at

We have a 189FBR, and I am also 6'3". I feel your pain. So far we've only made one trip in the camper, and I managed to shower, although i had to center my head under the vent and slightly bend my knees during the entire shower. That wasn't a hue deal to me as I take pretty brief showers (only takes me about 3-4 minutes having a shaved head, and maybe 1 gallon of water). Coming from tent camping an a tiny tent trailer with no amenities (no shower or toilet) the tiny bathroom in our 189 feels rather luxurious.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:51 AM   #3

Default Bathroom Modification

I have a FF 189 FBS, and at 6'3" also found the bathroom virtually useless. I am just wrapping up my bath mod. I pulled everything out, drilled a hole in the floor, attaching a drain to a waterless trap, then drilled a hole into my gray water tank, attaching the drain pipe through a rubber grommet.

I effectively turned the entire bathroom into a shower stall, insalling a 6" threshold at the bottom of the door opening. I then paneled the room with 1/8" paneling (walls & floor), boxing the electrical lines around the edge. Then I applied two coats of "Redgard" paintable waterproof membrane (Home Depot). This was followed by gluing FRP (fiberglass reinforced panels - Home Depot) to the walls and door entry. I tossed the door, and made a new one from MDF, installing it like a cabinet door, using a screen door handle system.

When done, I installed the toilet facing the sink (no more hitting knees on the door) and installed a new curtian rod to protect the sink & door. I now have room to shower either standing or sitting on the closed toilet.

Total project cost was around $385, but I also opted to redesign the cabinet to fit into the corner and a new medicine cabinet, bringing total cost to around $600. Now this is a really usable powder room, with a shower... Lots of work, but very trick. When wrapped up & have a little time I will post photos.
wineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #4

Please do show us your mod with pictures!!! This sounds like something a lot of us would like to accomplish! Many think about doing this mod, but few that I know have actually taken the time to do it! I'd LOVE to see pictures!!

2005 Sun Cruiser Fun Finder X-139FK
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (Winston)
Cadillac Sedan de Ville V8 (Great White Whale)
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #5

Default Bathroom Mod

Wineman:
Thanks for the description of your bathroom mod. You gave me some good ideas and I, like obxgal, look forward to the pictures. I knew there had to be owners out there who feel the same way as I do about the 189 bath.

My wife and I were out last weekend looking at the 2011 189 FBS and were elated with many of the mods (especially the flush floor sofa slide out) over our 2007 189 FD, but were disappointed that the only apparent bath mod was angling the vanity cabinet (have the FF designers really ever tried to take a shower in one of their units??)

You say that you installed a threshold at the bottom of the door. Did you also set a one-piece fiberglass shower pan to cover the floor of the entire bath and build on top of that?

jbfunfinder
Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #6

Could not find a shower pan to fit. I first gutted everything, then installed a 2x6" threshold board across the entry at the floor, and a 2x4" at the ceiling. Paneled the whole room with 1/8" plywood to get a new surface to work with, then sealed all the seams with fiberglass tape and painted the room with a paintable waterproof membrane. The result is a waterproof room. I drilled a drain hole in the floor for the shower, making note to miss the steel frame underneath the shower. I then covered the walls and floor in FRP (fiberglass reinforced paneling, like you see in gas station bathrooms), cutting a hole for both the toilet & shower drain. I glued this to the walls and floor with FRP glue (trowel on), then silicon sealed all the joints, and now have a double waterproof bathroom. I modified the sink to fit at a 45 degree angle in the corner, and installed the toilet facing the sink (no more bruised knees from the door). I sealed the toilet flange with silicon to keep shower water from running out under the toilet. I installed a new shower curtain that I bent to fit around the sink, ending behind the toilet, so the curtain is out of the way. I had a new formica top cut for the sink, then reinstalled the shower head a little above the original location. I ordered one of the corner cabinets from Funfinder, cut the bottom shelf off, and installed a mirror in place of the glass. Finally I made new door out of MDF, with routered ends matching the other cabinets, and glued a framed $19 mirror from Walmart to the front, using a screen door knob and latch. The end result is really fantastic and it looks like it came from the factory (as it should have). Hopefully I can post pics soon. Lots of work, and you need to be somewhat handy with tools. But I am an appraiser, not a contractor and all is good.
wineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #7

Default FF 189 Bath Mod

Wineman-
Thanks for the detailed explanation. You really did a thorough job and have a right to be proud of the results. You inspired me to seriously consider starting the same project on my FF.
jbfunfinder