Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #1

Default Has anyone used a clamp on bike rack

After thinking about it for several months, I've decided to pan the idea of adding a receiver hitch to the back of my trailer in order to carry my bikes. Instead, I might buy a clamp on bike rack like one of these:

Advantage SportsRack V-Rack 2 Bike Rack for 2" Ball Mounts - Towing Heininger Holdings Hitch Bike Racks HE1011

Curt Clamp-On 3 Bike Rack for 2" Ball Mounts - Towing Curt Hitch Bike Racks C18013

Has anyone used one of these?

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #2

I haven't tried them (yet) but seen that kind of 3 bike rack and seems sturdy enough to hold them.

microJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
Site Team

I used to have one similar to that. It had a square tube that slid over the ball mount. This clamp on one looks like its much easier to install/remove. The only question would be how much clearance will you have between the bikes and the trailer jack. I used mine towing a boat which had a pretty long A frame so clearance wasn't an issue.
If you have enough clearance this looks like a pretty slick setup, and you can't argue with that price. If you decide to buy it let us know how it works out.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #4

Well I just order this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Bike-To...&wl13=&veh=sem

Very similar to the Curt clamp on hitch. Perhaps just re-branded. It was only $49 with free shipping. Anyway, my only concern is that I will need to have the shank pulled out to the original hole in order to use it. I drilled a second hole in the shank to bring the WDH closer to the receiver, which lessened the strain on my Highlander and in theory lessened the bounce. Moving it out an extra two inches to fit this bike rack plus the extra weight may proof to be too much for the Highlander to handle. But for 50 bucks, its worth a trying. To help compensate for the added weight at the hitch, I may add 10 gallons of water to the black water tank (approximately 80 pounds).
Old 03-14-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
Site Team

Hard to beat that price. Let us know how it works out.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #6

Unbelievable. Ordered the bike rack this past Sunday and it arrived today (Tuesday). Anyway, it is pretty nice unit and I temporarily installed it with my bike on it. I think it will easily clear the trailer crank with one bike on it. Not sure if two bikes will fit.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #7

Nice set up.
My concern would be while backing up the trailer, if it is turned to tightly the bikes may get squashed between the tow vehicle and camper.

I suppose it will clear the camper propane tank.

be sure to post review after field testing
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #8
Site Team

Nice! That looks like it should do the trick. And if it turns out that you don't have clearance for tight turns backing up, it wouldn't take much to remove it to get it out of the way.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #9

Looks good and is a lot easier than trying to mount to the rear of the trailer...
As others have said check out you turning clearance and see if you will jackknife the trailer on the the bike...

Enjoy and have tons of fun...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #10

Have you used it with the trailer yet? How is it? I'm so jealous!

Liz
Old 03-26-2017, 07:49 PM   #11

Not yet. Probably not for another month or so.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #12

I haven't used it yet but at the end of the season last year, I mounted an "Around-the-Spare" type bike rack that attaches to the rear bumper of my TT.

No pics of mine but it's similar to this: Swagman 80501 Black Around-The-Spare Deluxe 2-Bike RV Rack.
https://www.carid.com/swagman/deluxe...mpn-80501.html

The original design is a bit lame as it allows for a fair amount torsion at the bumper due to the long lever arm effect. I fixed (I think) the issue by running a heavy strap from the top cross-bar of the rack over the top of the spare tire and attached it to the spare tire mounting bracket which is securely fastened to the rear wall of the TT. There is now only a slight amount of torsion at the bumper and the weight of the bikes (about 50#) is shared by the bumper and the spare tire bracket.

Like I said, haven't put it into "on-the-road" use yet but will be in the next month or so.

I don't think that the ones that mount between the hitch receiver and the trailer ball would work very well in my case.

RipVan

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
After thinking about it for several months, I've decided to pan the idea of adding a receiver hitch to the back of my trailer in order to carry my bikes. Instead, I might buy a clamp on bike rack like one of these:

Advantage SportsRack V-Rack 2 Bike Rack for 2" Ball Mounts - Towing Heininger Holdings Hitch Bike Racks HE1011

Curt Clamp-On 3 Bike Rack for 2" Ball Mounts - Towing Curt Hitch Bike Racks C18013

Has anyone used one of these?
I was looking to go this route but was concerned with how far the bikes hang out and cause leverage and flex with the bumper. I have seen some bumpers will handle the stress and others would not. There is bumper supports available that may help see pictures below. They bolt to the main frame. I ended up deciding on building extra storage on the back of our trailer and moved everything from the back of our truck to the storage bins and the bikes will go in the back of the pickup. Not an option for SUV owners but I have seen storage racks that will allow bikes above the propane tanks as well.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-04-07 20.23.12.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2017, 07:03 PM   #14

Finally got a chance to try out the clamp on bike rack. I can happily say that it works great. It does not get in the way when turning and there is more than enough room to crank the nose gear down. Only thing I'm going to do is cut about 5 inches of the two mounting rails in order to make it easier to put the bike(s) on the mount. It is designed for three bikes but we will only be carrying a maximum of two. For $50 this was well worth the money and it does not require major mods to the camper since the rack just clamps onto the shank. Below is a picture.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Finally got a chance to try out the clamp on bike rack. I can happily say that it works great. It does not get in the way when turning and there is more than enough room to crank the nose gear down. Only thing I'm going to do is cut about 5 inches of the two mounting rails in order to make it easier to put the bike(s) on the mount. It is designed for three bikes but we will only be carrying a maximum of two. For $50 this was well worth the money and it does not require major mods to the camper since the rack just clamps onto the shank.
thanks for the update! Looks like a great idea. Glad it worked so well. I just realized​ you have a weight distributing hitch. That was my concern, adding hitch weight. We don't have a weight distributing hitch. We're thinking about putting a rack on the back of the camper either by adding a bumper or by just adding a receiver. I don't know why but we got rid of our WDH when we sold the last camper. We should have kept it. oh well

Liz
PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintyLiz View Post
thanks for the update! Looks like a great idea. Glad it worked so well. I just realized​ you have a weight distributing hitch. That was my concern, adding hitch weight. We don't have a weight distributing hitch. We're thinking about putting a rack on the back of the camper either by adding a bumper or by just adding a receiver. I don't know why but we got rid of our WDH when we sold the last camper. We should have kept it. oh well

Liz
Liz- Yes, the WDH actually helps out a lot given the short wheel base of my Highlander. The WDH levels out the rig and really controls sway. Without it, I felt like I was white knuckling during most of the drive. With it, the drive is easy peasy.

Also, about adding the bikes on the back of the trailer, be aware that not all bike racks are rated for the purpose. I discovered that many of the racks that go on the back of cars can not take the side to side and up and down motion when attached to the back of at trailer. The end result is that the rack will tear themselves apart and you may loose the bikes in the process.

Don
Old 05-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Also, about adding the bikes on the back of the trailer, be aware that not all bike racks are rated for the purpose. I discovered that many of the racks that go on the back of cars can not take the side to side and up and down motion when attached to the back of at trailer. The end result is that the rack will tear themselves apart and you may loose the bikes in the process.

Don
Wow didn't know that! Thanks for the heads up, I will have to check out our bike rack.

Liz

PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote