Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
sbb

Default Hot Water Heater

Welcome to Spring finally. I de-winterized everything BUT my hot water heater. I'm doing that for my first time on Sunday. I know on the outside I take cover off and turn the three valves opposite of what they are now. I also think there is someting to do under my mattress up front where I have to take screws out. I have a 2010 189FDS . Can someone please help me with this..my goal is not to mess up my hot water heater on my first try. Thank you very much and happy camping to all.

50 Watt Solar Panel
36 Nights Out 2011
sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #2

Sounds like you've got it. The only thing I can think of that you would do under your bed (I'm assuming that's where your water pump is; I've got a 210WBS and only storage under the bed) would be to make sure that you've got the winterization valve turned so that the water pump draws from your fresh water tank as opposed from the hose that draws the anti-freeze out of the jug... If you turned that valve back after pumping the anti-freeze solution, you don't need to go under there at all.

Maybe someone with a 189FDS will chime in if the above is in error in any way, but, that's all I've ever done with any of my trailers. I use air now instead of anti-freeze, so, I don't ever worry about which direction the pump's draw valve is in.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #3

Default Dewinterizing the hot water heater

I have a 2009 FF-189FDS that should have a hot water system very similar to yours. Here's what I did this week.
1. In the outside water heater compartment screw the sacrificial electrode into the hot water tank drain hole. This is the long rod with a 1 1/16" hex head.
2. Go inside and remove the drawer under the bed. With your head inside the drawer housing look left. you should see the hot water tank. Notice the three black valves on the water lines leading to and from the hot water tank. Turn them opposite to what they are now. I believe the valves on the red and white lines will be parallel to the line and the valve on the short connecting line will be perpendicular to the line.
3. Connect a shore water line and turn it on. You should hear the tank filling.
4. After a couple of minutes, go to the outside compartment and lift the blue metal valve handle positioned near the top of the hot water tank. This releases the air trapped in the top of the tank and allows it to fill completely. Shut the valve when water spurts from the valve.
5. Try the kitchen hot water faucet. It should sputter for a moment then run clear.
6. This is the tricky part. You should see a brass valve alongside the water pump. It should have a length of clear plastic hose attached. This is the line that feeds antifreeze into the system to winterize the trailrer. It may have been left open in which case your water pump will not pressurize the water system. I THINK BUT CANNOT REMEMBER EXACTLY the brass valve should be parallel to the water line.
7. Fill your water tank and turn off the shore water supply. turn on the water pump and open a hot water faucet. If the brass valve is in the correct position the pump will pressurize in 30-60 seconds and a constant water stream will come from the faucet. If the faucet continues to spit and sputter, change the position of the brass valve and try again.
8. Good luck!
Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote