Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #1

Cool How much weight in upper cabinets? Has anyone had a problem?

I was reading through a discussion on another camper site about a different type of camper entirely. But they were trying to figure out how much weight they could put in overhead cabinets. This never entered my mind before.

The cabinets over the dinette are only supported on the wall side they do not abut any walls on the sides. In the 10 years I have owned this camper, we store canned food up there and it stores there a hundred percent of the time LOL I can't think of anything heavier. I even added more shelving under the original cabinets.

Has anyone had problems with the cabinets pulling loose from the walls? I am thinking maybe I should move the canned stuff to the floor cabinets and put clothes or something lighter up there.

But then, maybe no one's ever had a problem and all is good!

Liz

Old 08-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #2

We have a microwave in our upper cabinets -- after five years of bouncing around on rocky forest roads, no problem!

Having said that, we try to load the heavy stuff as low as we can to lower the center of gravity.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:38 PM   #3

I've never added any shelves or additional storage space in my camper. LIghter items are kept in the upper shelves/cabinet and heavy items always down low or on the floor area.

I'm conscious of everything added to the camper so not to overload it with a bunch of unnecessary stuff and anything I haven't used in a season, probably don't need and is removed.

Filling every little nook and cranny with 'stuff' just doesn't seem smart to me.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #4

We live full time in our 18' camper, I still have empty space. And I have everything I need, even my sewing machine lol. The upper cabinets must be pretty secure, they've held food shortage for 10 years. Just wondered if anyone ever had an issue. I'm old I don't want everything stored below my knees.

Liz
Old 08-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #5

I've wondered the same. Our bunk bed, which we took out, but may put back in, has a weight sticker of 220#. so I'd assume there is something solid there for things to be attached to. but you know about assumptions.

but anyway, the only heavy things up high are the few canned goods we take along.
Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
I've wondered the same. Our bunk bed, which we took out, but may put back in, has a weight sticker of 220#. so I'd assume there is something solid there for things to be attached to. but you know about assumptions.
I can help you with that one, if it's like mine. The bunk bed sits on two metal rails that are screwed into the sides of the trailer, so it's really very secure. The dinette cabinets are only secured at the back, possibly less secure. They must be affixed to the wall pretty well though because apparently there are few problems with them.

Liz
Old 08-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #7

That's good to know. I sometimes think we should put the bunk bed back, then someone can take a nap up there....

Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote