Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #1

Default How often do you check the tightness of your hitch ball?

Do you re-torque the ball nut every year or have you ever checked it once initially installed?

Old 01-27-2015, 06:57 AM   #2
Site Team

No, I just do a quick visual inspection every time I hook up. I've never had a problem.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #3

I've pulled boats and trailers around for 30 years and have had about 6 different vehicles with hitches for that purpose. I've had to change balls and drawbars many times for many reasons and I've never once found one to be loose. In fact, mostly the opposite ..... they're always hard to break loose. So, bottom line here is that I don't check mine either

Old 01-28-2015, 06:45 AM   #4
roy

Have never had the ball nut come loose but the hitch bolts need to be watched. I've had them work loose twice over long periods. I visually inspect things everytime I hook up. I sharpie marked the ball but so I could easily tell if it hard moved. No movement on two different hitches and thousands of miles travelled. Tourque on the nut is like 400 ft lbs I'm sure I didn't get it to that even with a 3/4" ratchet and a long pipe attached to the ratchet. I went with the torque value of as tight as I could go on it.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:15 AM   #5

Not sure what the dealer torqued it to but assume it was properly torqued.
Never noticed any movement but re-torqued it to be sure. With a 3/4" ratchet torque wrench with long handle (about 4' total length), got between 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the nut so feel it's 'gooten tight' now.

The torque wrench never 'let go' at the 450# setting nor when backed off to the 300# setting so believe the torque wrench was way out of calibration or just defective.

Neighbor said to tighten the nut till the lock washer is squashed flat, then give it another 1/2 turn.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #6

The hardest part of tightening the ball is getting a grip on the "flats" at the base of the ball -- they are very narrow. I use a pipe wrench, but it is tricky to get it to hold on the flats without slipping.

I have never had a hitch ball come loose, but I have marked the ball and the ball mount so that I can tell if the ball moves. It never has.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:10 PM   #7

Default Re: How often do you check the tightness of your hitch ball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Do you re-torque the ball nut every year or have you ever checked it once initially installed?

Just make sure you have a good lock washer on there, you can visually check that.

mike

chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote