Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #21

If concerned about mixing different brands of bearing lubricants ~ according to this, the Lippert Super Lube hubs are pre-lubed with Lucus 'Red and Tacky' grease.

http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/c718.pdf

It must also be noted, not all greases contain the same 'make-up' whereas some are compatible and some should NEVER be mixed.

This explains it well:

http://www.nskamericas.com/cps/rde/x...of_greases.pdf

Proper maintenance = happy camping!

Old 07-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #22
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
If concerned about mixing different brands of bearing lubricants ~ according to this, the Lippert Super Lube hubs are pre-lubed with Lucus 'Red and Tacky' grease.

http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/c718.pdf

It must also be noted, not all greases contain the same 'make-up' whereas some are compatible and some should NEVER be mixed.

This explains it well:

http://www.nskamericas.com/cps/rde/x...of_greases.pdf

Proper maintenance = happy camping!
I went back with Lucas red tacky grease. By accident really as the first place I stopped on my way home that's about the best they had on the shelf.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:40 AM   #23

My annual maintenance is the have the bearings backed and brakes, tires checked. Probably excessive but have not any problems on the road.
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:44 AM   #24

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". It's hard to put a value on peace of mind but it's important to me also.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #25

Default XT-276 bearing failure

We have a 2012 XT-276 and I wonder if Lippert got a bad batch of bearings. Last summer while driving across Texas, the drivers side front bearings failed and the wheel came off. It bent the axle as it departed. The front axle was replaced with a Dexter axle. This spring while driving across Missouri the passenger rear bearing burned up. Roadside assistance replaced the brake plate, drum and bearings. When we got home I checked and repacked all the bearings. All looked good except the drivers side rear (only original bearing). The rollers were starting to chip. so I installed new bearings. I now carry spare bearings and seals, a spare drum, and a grease packing tool. So far there have been no problems. It just seems strange that 3 of the 4 original bearings failed (and one was replaced when the axle was replaced). I had been using the oem grease fittings - now I manually pack them.
Bill & Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:03 AM   #26
roy

Eagle here is the hub assembly that will go on a XT276

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hubs...546UC3-EZ.html

WERA Expert #826
Old 07-20-2015, 07:06 AM   #27
roy

Default Re: XT-276 bearing failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Cindy
We have a 2012 XT-276 and I wonder if Lippert got a bad batch of bearings. Last summer while driving across Texas, the drivers side front bearings failed and the wheel came off. It bent the axle as it departed. The front axle was replaced with a Dexter axle. This spring while driving across Missouri the passenger rear bearing burned up. Roadside assistance replaced the brake plate, drum and bearings. When we got home I checked and repacked all the bearings. All looked good except the drivers side rear (only original bearing). The rollers were starting to chip. so I installed new bearings. I now carry spare bearings and seals, a spare drum, and a grease packing tool. So far there have been no problems. It just seems strange that 3 of the 4 original bearings failed (and one was replaced when the axle was replaced). I had been using the oem grease fittings - now I manually pack them.
WOW that's quite a bit of failure. All my remaining wheels looked ok when I inspected. I will check them more frequently from now on. I think the bearings and axles get a workout when the black and gray tanks are full since the tanks rest directly over those two axles. I also think the axles on the XT276 are under under sized for the load its designed to carry.

WERA Expert #826
Old 07-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #28

You might want to get your trailer weighed, and see what it really is. So easy with all of our stuff to overload it. And with all the china "stuff" out there really got to be careful.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy
Eagle here is the hub assembly that will go on a XT276

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hubs...546UC3-EZ.html

Roy .. Thanks alot.

I got spare bearings..may get a hub too.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #30
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3
You might want to get your trailer weighed, and see what it really is. So easy with all of our stuff to overload it. And with all the china "stuff" out there really got to be careful.
I am within the trailers listed weight limits but that's even questionable. 2 3500 lb axles and the gross weight is 7870 listed. The way I read it is the remaining 870 lbs is the toungue weight on it.

WERA Expert #826
Old 07-30-2015, 06:43 AM   #31
roy

Okay I purchased a complete hub with races installed and bearings that come with it. I also ordered two complete bearing kits, seal kit for 4 wheels along with a replacement brake magnet that was slightly damaged in the wheel fire.

I purchased it all from eTrailer.com online. Free shipping if you spend $99 or more. Hope to have it all by next week sometime. Complete hub was only $50.95 for the XT276 with the 3500# axles and its a 5 on 4 1/2" lug pattern you need. 10" dia at 2 1/4" wide hub 15" wheel of course. Make sure to match the bearings with the hub and they are outter L4469 inner L68149.

WERA Expert #826
Old 08-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #32

For those of us who are not mechanically inclined and the information in this thread just sails over our heads, is there anything one can do to help prevent this from occuring?

I ask because based on my experience with this new Fun Finder, a bearing failure is most likely moving up on my list of What Next?
Old 08-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep
For those of us who are not mechanically inclined and the information in this thread just sails over our heads, is there anything one can do to help prevent this from occuring?

I ask because based on my experience with this new Fun Finder, a bearing failure is most likely moving up on my list of What Next?
The first and foremost I for one have bearings packed and brakes check as I bring the trailer out of storage on the way home at the beginning of the season. If the trailer is used all year then do this once a year sometime.

Same time make sure tires are up to recommended pressure. And if a stored trailer change tires every 5-6 years. All of this is probably a little overkill but I have never had a problem doing it this way.

mike
Old 08-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #34

Default hub bearings

I think just as important as bearings and grease, is the proper installation of the castle nut. With the hub seated properly, the nut must be installed not too loose and not too tight. With the wheel and tire mounted, grasping the outside of the tire, a movement of about 1/8 " is about correct. Any more than that is too loose. No movement at all may be too tight.
LEWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #35
roy

Default Re: hub bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEWR
I think just as important as bearings and grease, is the proper installation of the castle nut. With the hub seated properly, the nut must be installed not too loose and not too tight. With the wheel and tire mounted, grasping the outside of the tire, a movement of about 1/8 " is about correct. Any more than that is too loose. No movement at all may be too tight.
The roadside hillbilly that put mine back together on the side of the road had the nut too tight and I told him so. He didn't listen and once I got home I had the same bearing about to come apart due to it being too tight. I replaced both bearings and tightened it back like it was when originally took it apart right after the failure. It was only hand tight with the cotter pin through the bolt and a me end. Same as the other 3 which is the proper way to do it.

WERA Expert #826
Old 08-30-2015, 07:49 PM   #36

Well I took the plunge and replaced bot sets of wheel bearings in my camper. Only took about an hour and the wheel bearing packer tool I got made packing the bearings so easy! Also purchased a spare hub and bearings in case I have a failure on the road. Don't want to get ripped off by on the road repair people.