Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2019, 09:28 PM   #1

Default Idea: Store the hitch on the trailer frame when not in use

Having pulled RV trailers for 30 years I have long felt that there had to be a better place to store the hitch when not in use than in the front storage area. The hitch was always awkward and heavy to get into the storage area without getting everything greasy. I recently stumbled across a receiver on Amazon designed to fit the trailer frame but it was $150 or more so I decided to take the idea and keep looking. I found several receivers designed for step bumpers or rear trailer bumpers but I ultimately settled on one designed for a 1998-2005 Mercedes ML-class. I had to also purchase longer 9/16" bolts/washers to clear the box frame and a 5/8" Silver and Deming shank drill bit. There are several vendors who offer the receivers on Amazon and Ebay. I plan to coat the bolts with black Flex Seal to stop them from corroding. And my wife thought I would never get her a part from a Mercedes!

Let me know what you think and suggest any design improvements.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC07922.jpg   DSC07926.jpg   DSC07910.jpg   DSC07914.jpg  

Old 07-06-2019, 10:29 PM   #2

Nicely done! But I am going to reveal my ignorance: why not leave the hitch ball on the tow vehicle? That is what I do when we are on the road. At home, I remove the hitch ball assembly and stow it in the garage.

I am sure I am overlooking something here.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:36 AM   #3

This is what I do.
I nicknamed my hitch ball assembly the "ankle buster". Its an equalizer so its big bulky and heavy. It is NEVER left on my truck when unhooked.
As soon as we are detached it goes right back into the trailer tongue and locked there, spun around to stay out of the way!

And yes, just the other day I left it sticking out for a few minutes and WHACK.......
Old 07-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #4

Given how pricey they are, I lock my WD hitch onto the tow vehicle when I plan to use it using a pin lock. Otherwise, I take it off and store it in the garage out of the elements.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:18 AM   #5

I think Rick's comment cleared it up for me -- my hitch ball is the ordinary old fashioned kind, not huge and not valuable. A WD hitch is a different animal!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Given how pricey they are, I lock my WD hitch onto the tow vehicle when I plan to use it using a pin lock. Otherwise, I take it off and store it in the garage out of the elements.
Ditto

I've also seen some who leave the Equal-Z-er bars pinned to the hitch head, just folded up to the TV bumper on each side. I've never done this as expensive to replace.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #7

Or is that shin buster. Either way it's a painful experience. Not to mention that if you don't wipe the grease off it can wreak a lot of pants. My wife still has scars on her leg. Now I remove it.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:36 PM   #8

I tried to think of these issues before I mounted it. I always keep on one of the Curt rubber caps made for 2 5/16 trailer balls when not in use. I think you would really need to try to walk into it as it stores in the dead zone between the trailer tongue and the front of the trailer but behind the line extending from the batteries (see photo).
Attached Thumbnails
DSC07924.jpg  
Old 07-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator View Post
Or is that shin buster. Either way it's a painful experience. Not to mention that if you don't wipe the grease off it can wreak a lot of pants. My wife still has scars on her leg. Now I remove it.

Yup, been there done that! Shin buster, knee breaker, all the same.

Wrecked a pair of jeans last week before removing it when I usually do!

It gets pulled off the truck and hung from the trailer's hitch, swung out of the way as soon as I am unhooked, and before doing anything else.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #10

When I return from a camping trip, off it comes and stored in the garage.

When out camping for the weekend or longer (always use a pin lock to secure it into the receiver) it stays on the tow vehicle...never removed.

As for being a shin buster or wrecking pants, never been an issue. Growing up around farm equipment, learned very early to LOOK when walking behind a tractor or piece of equipment. IT's simply a safety thing learned long ago.

Besides, living in an agricultural area, probably 50% of the pickups have a ball hitch in the receiver all the time.