Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2019, 06:22 AM   #1

Default Improvement of your WiFi signal..

What system did you use to help with WiFi?

Thanks
Juls

Old 08-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #2

This is probably obvious, and I am probably showing my ignorance here -- but anyway, we use the wifi hotspot on our iPhones. So then I can use my laptop to hook up to the web through the phone. It works great -- much better than the slow wifi at RV parks, for example.

And once again obviously, it does not work when we are in the boonies and can't get a cell signal!

Old 08-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #3

That is fine if one has an iphone but not everyone needs, has nor wants one.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
That is fine if one has an iphone but not everyone needs, has nor wants one.
Androids can act has a hot spot as well. I use mine all the time. Or one can buy just a hot spot as well.
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by team dougherty View Post
Androids can act has a hot spot as well. I use mine all the time. Or one can buy just a hot spot as well.
Sorry, not into all the electronic gizmo stuff.
I suppose I'm just ancient
Old 08-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
APD

Talking

The WiFi at most campgrounds is a waste of time. What little we use the internet while camping (looking for local fun or a little bill paying) we just hot-spot off the phone.
Otherwise our time is spent chasing each other around the 139 ....

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #7

Chasing around a 139, Alan? That's a short chase!!

Eagle, I thought I was the only person in the world who fought against getting a so-called smart phone, but I guess you are even more of a holdout than I was! I hate gizmos. But there is so much useful stuff on one of these newfangled things -- topo maps for boondocking and hiking, a compass, critical weather updates. Lots of safety and camping-related apps.

So I hate to say it, but I have gone over to the dark side, under pressure from my kids and my wife.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #8

I agree the WiFi is crappy at best at most camp grounds. I have used my phone but sometimes cell service is just as bad. Ive heard of better directional devices and was wondering what other folks may have used for better service.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #9

prof 139 I had one when working, company supplied with a ton of apps. It was OK but seldom used it other than taking or making a phone call.

Now have a elcheepo flip phone about 10 years old and buy time by months/hours. Only reason is in case of an emergency, otherwise seldom used. Have less than two months time left but have nearly 1,000 hours of time. LOL Will get another years time and lots of minutes for less than most pay for two months service on their "smart" phone.

Also, the flip phone cost me about $20, not the $700- $1,200 some pay, then break it or lose it within a year. Also not into paying $100 a month for phone service. It's not a worthwhile investment IMO.

Landline at home works great ... flip phone for emergencies mostly because you can no longer find a pay phone anywhere.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:11 AM   #10

Google wifi booster and you will find lots out there, have used a couple brands.
Did have some success with a D Link one ($20) but you need shore power to run it and you need to be fairly close to the wifi transmitter. There are other ones out there that cost a lot and say they will do the job but I wasn’t in the mood to spend the money.
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #11

Well - campground wifi is often spotty and so slow that when checking in, they usually warn you that the wifi is "slow." Well - it's expensive to have a fast and strong signal broadcast. So-Yes, I too use my phones capability to connect my computer to it. I find the internet extremely helpful in planning routes, making reservations, looking to see what is in the area and so on. I have a cradle-type wifi booster in my tow vehicle, as long as there is even a weak signal, it will boost it. This is great while I'm driving - a bit inconvenient to take the phone and computer and go sit in the truck when camping. Also possible but inconvenient I could take the cradle setup and move it to the camper. I'm currently looking at a separate booster system that mounts to the camper and boosts the signal in the camper. BUT-there must at least be a weak signal. All boosters are exactly that - a booster - they can't make a signal when there isn't one.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #12

Im ancient too. But I do have an Iphone. First of all check your plan and be sure you have unlimited data because a hot spot and other things like this (again showing my ignorance here, but whatever streaming is, music etc.???). I have unlimited date on Verizon. SO.....that means I can use my hot spot for a computer. I work while camping so I really need to be able to keep up. Whomever write above is correct however cell service (how the hot spot works on my phone) can also be sketchy in which case it won't help me if I'm really remote.
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #13

Oh yeah. Don't ask me how I know this, but do NOT use your hot spot unless you have unlimited data. We did not know this back in the days of "100 MB per month," but we soon learned. Now we have unlimited data. Sigh.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:26 AM   #14

I was another holdout. For years, I used a Motorola Rival which has a great radio so phone calls worked well and a slideout keyboard which made texting a breeze. I often used that to text notes to myself which saved on wear and tear on my brain cells.

Sadly, those $25 used phones I stockpiled wear out after a year or two and when the most recent one died, Verizon said, "Sorry kid. We don't activate no steenkin' cheapo 'feature' phones no mo!" and refused to let me bring the next backup online.

I finally broke down and traded my diminutive Rival (it is so small it would almost fit in the coin slot of a pay phone) for a "smart" phone. This thing is the size of a television. In fact, I think the FunFinder came with a smaller TV. For the days I don't have cargo shorts, a friend suggested a fanny pack now trending as a "waist bag." Not a waste bag. Ewww. Or a murse.

Anyway, there have been a few days that I've been more out of touch than usual so if y'all tried to text or call this week and I didn't answer, I never will. Your missives went down with the ship, er Rival.

This, of course, has nothing to do with getting WiFi in the camper. My new phone is pretty good at that though.
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #15

That's funny about the cargo pants -- since I got my iPhone, I can no longer wear pants or shorts with weak waistbands -- the phone pulls my pants down!

I have learned to tighten my belt a little because my phone is so heavy. What an odd world this is.

Tags
wifi