Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #1

Default Jack antenna

Any body install one of these? I purchased one, installed it and it did not work. Instructions said the led would light up but it didn't. Checked the coax and it was putting out 13.47 volts. I took it down and hooked it to the adapter that came with it and the led came on, checked voltage coming out of the adapter and it showed 18.9 volts. Even with the led lit it would not find any stations but I had it inside so this could have been the problem. Any suggestions or what type of unit were you able to use.

Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #2

Yes, I did replace the Jensen that came on my XT276 with a Jack HD antenna.

Link to the write up posted earlier here:

http://www.funfinderclub.com/phpBB2/...pic.php?t=2419

Great antenna and great reception as picks up stations where I could get none before.

BTW ~ you have to connect 12 volt power to the Jack to power it and light the leds on signal strength and light the led showing power to the antenna.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #3

Yes I saw your post, the one that I purchased was just the head unit that fit on the existing mast. I suspect that the units only work with their power systems and not with the trailer one. Will have to look around for a unit like yours and retro fit it into my system. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #4

You are welcome.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #5

I've put three different units on three different trailers...just the head to replace the Sensar unit. Never had an issue on any of the installs; they worked fine with the stock power supplies that operated the Sensar antennas.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #6

Are you guys talking about this one:

http://kingcontrols.com/product/king-jack/

or this one:

http://kingcontrols.com/product/king-jack-head/
Old 08-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #7

The one I have (model OA8200) says "JACK" and not "KING" on it.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...em-white/56484

Some installation guide instructions and photos:
http://rvroadtrip.us/library/jack_antenna_install.php
Old 08-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #8

Michellep it is the second listing that I tried. It would not power up with the system I have so I sent it back to the supplier. I suspect if I had taken the time and rewired the system to use their adapter and hookup it might have worked. But I do a lot of dry camping and want to use the 12 volt system along with my 12 volt TV and their adapter would not work for me.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #9

I replaced the batwing with the King Jack Head. Worked w/o any issue. Just removed Batwing and installed Jack, everything worked.
jtwcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwcummins
I replaced the batwing with the King Jack Head. Worked w/o any issue. Just removed Batwing and installed Jack, everything worked.
That's good to know, because I'm going to have to have my dealer install it for me.

Did the King Jack work any better for you?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #11

The first "mod" I do to any trailer is to scrap the batwing and put on the Jack antenna.

IMO, the Jack isn't necessarily a more sensitive antenna, but, it does have a wider range of signal acceptance while the batwing is much more directional. Picture a cone extending out from the front of the antenna. The batwing's cone is much narrower and only those signals inside the cone are received. The Jack's cone of acceptance is much wider, so, a signal that was outside the cone of the batwing, now falls inside the wider cone of the Jack, giving you more tv stations and, what seems like, a better receiver. If you are camping in an area where there are only a couple of OTA stations available and they are all in the same town, then you probably won't notice any difference. If you, however, are in an area where the tv stations are in a couple of towns that are near each other, but, not in a line, then you will probably pick up more stations than a batwing would.

Winegard actually realizes this phenomenon and has come out with a new "flat plate" antenna that receives signals from a wider cone and receives them front and back equally. I thought about giving it a try, but, two things stop me. The first is that it has to be mounted closer to the roof (on a shortened mast that puts is closer to roof clutter; bad for signals, height is good, short is bad) because of my reason #2 which is that the antenna is a big, flat piece of plastic that would act like a sail in the wind. While a shorter mast may make it a bit sturdier, it is still unable to stand up to a stiff breeze and the constant swaying is, IMO, not going to do anything good to the sealant at the roof mounting... I'll keep my Jack.

I've installed several of my own and several for friends; all of them, but, one, the head assembly only and never had an issue with them not working with the standard Winegard power supply that came with the batwing antenna. If the head didn't work at all (no light on the antenna head; looks cool at night), then the head, itself was defective or the supply wire was damaged in disconnecting it from the batwing. 12v is 12v, no matter who supplies it and the system is designed to work with 12v; a small "higher" voltage won't hurt it, but, 12v is all that is required.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #12

Bat wing at the side of the house got 8 stations clear. Jack got 22
jtwcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #13

Default Jack Works

I replaced my older antenna with a Jack (head only) purchased on sale camping world ($36.00). Used the same mast took off old antenna and put on the jack and hooked up to existing coax wire. Made sure the power on button was pushed in the trailer and got lots of channel at home and lots on the road. My TV requires that I scan for stations every time we stop at a new location.
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #14

Went to the local rv dealer today and found another King Jack antenna. Purchased and installed it, I now have the LED active. I now have nice and clear channels on the TV. Suspect that the other one was defective. Thanks for the replies.