Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #1

Default Jerky awning!

No, the awning on our 2015 FF 210UDS didn't call me names. But we'd begun to have trouble retracting it smoothly - until on our last outing it just stopped, fortunately, only a few inches from the trailer. Did some research, found out how to bring it in manually. Figured I would solve the jerking awning when we got home. But before we could leave for home the 12v light over the dining table now wouldn't turn on. Changed bulbs, no effect. Checked fuses, one was blown. (BTW, I learned not to trust the manufacturer's list inside the panel.) Replaced the fuse and the table light now worked. Thought, What have I got to lose? So I tried the awning again. Out and back just as smooth as can be. Then I thought there must be a reason the awning has been hesitating and made the fuse pop. Well, the Control Panel is mounted at hip level as you enter the trailer, which puts all of the attached wiring behind the three kitchen drawers. I put a light inside the cabinet door, behind the drawers, as I pulled the top drawer out. WHAT A MESS! All of the wiring bundle was dragging back and forth on the metal drawer track. For lack of a better solution I took some zipties, wrapped one around the left sink drain and pulled the bundle up and away and wrapped another around the bundle and through the first ziptie. That seems to have fixed the problem - for now. It might be worth taking a look at your wiring bundle to see if you could have an electrical problem waiting for your least opportune moment. Happy camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer wiring 2.jpg  

jimplumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #2

The control panel in my unit is also located as one comes in the door about hip level with the 'backside' near the sink.
However, there are no drawers right there ... only a door as the drawers are on the far side.
The wires are quite messy & I tied them up so it doesn't look like a wild colored hairdo but there is nothing for them to catch on in my unit.
Glad you were able to find the issue and a resolution.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #3

Welcome to flaky RV assembly. Our panel was the same way. I placed some wire loom on ours and organized it as well as I could. Dig deeper and you will find all sorts of these nice little surprises. Good on you. Silverado
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote