Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #1

Default Ladder on 189FBS

Has anybody installed a ladder on their 189FBS? I had hoped to have a 2" hitch receiver installed in order that I might attach a bike rack, but a second welder informed me that it would be a very difficult, expensive job. So, failing that, I am hoping that I can attach an outside ladder where I can fasten at least one bike. The question is: is the trailer frame reinforced for the installation of a ladder. Anybody done this?????

flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Van

Ohh, good question. I too would like yo have a ladder on the back of my 250BHS. I think this is a question for the folks who build them. I would try and contact Cruiser RV and see if you can get a hold of one of their engineers.

Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #3

Good luck with getting an answer from a Cruiser RV engineer.
I have called them twice regarding questions only they could answer, and after talking with their tech support I was assured that they would get back to me with an answer. Its been over 2 months now and I have never heard back from them.
My dealer is much more responsive and if he can't answer a question right away he will get back to me within a day or two.

2011 Cheveolet 2500HD 4x4
Intergtated Brake Controller
ARE Camper Shell
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Honda EU2000ia
Days Camped/2011/37 4200 Miles Towing
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #4

Default Ladder

I have what seems to be a good source at Funfinder. His name is Tom Peck. I will get back with his email. I have queried on a couple of occasions and he gets right back with a factory answer. They are disappointing, but nontheless answers. First one was a bike rack on the spare tire of a 189FBS. Answer: Absolutely Not! Tire carrier is designed for tire weight only and nothing else. Second Question: Can I put a ladder on the back? Answer: The plant says "NO LADDER". I guess these suckers are built to be liteweight and no plans were made to hang anything on them.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #5

Default Contact @ Funfinder Customer Service

Here is my source at Funfinder. He has worked for me:

tompeck@drvsuites.com
Old 04-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #6

Default Re: Contact @ Funfinder Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman
Here is my source at Funfinder. He has worked for me:

tompeck@drvsuites.com
Ive emailed that address a couple months ago to have it come back to me that it's invalid.
queball110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #7

Flugelboneman

What is your secret at getting through to Tom Peck at Cruiser RV?
I have e-mailed him 3 times over the past month and also have left a message on his answering machine. Have never heard back from him.
Since purchasing out TT last year I have called their tech. support 2 times for help and left a message, ya know they never answer their phone, and I never heard back from anyone. I am beginning to think their customer service "stinks". Anyone else encountering these kind of problems with them.
This forum and others on line are more helpful than Cruiser RV

2011 Cheveolet 2500HD 4x4
Intergtated Brake Controller
ARE Camper Shell
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Honda EU2000ia
Days Camped/2011/37 4200 Miles Towing
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #8

Default Tom Peck @ Funfinder

Hi Gordon,

I dealt with Tom on some "dissatisfaction matters" relating to our unit. He has always been very responsive, and in the end, contributed to my feeling of loyalty toward Funfinder. I know he changed his email recently to tompeck@drvsuites.com. I will e mail my last contact with him as it has some contact info at the bottom of the message which might help you establish contact.

I think they also have an email address on their website now. Previously that was not the case, and it was next to impossible to make contact with anyone.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #9

Default Contact

Gordon,

I guess I don't have your email after all. If you feel comfortable, send me an email message so I have your address and I will do what I promised. parsonsposse@shaw.ca
Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #10

Default Re: Ladder on 189FBS

Quote:
Has anybody installed a ladder on their 189FBS? I had hoped to have a 2" hitch receiver installed in order that I might attach a bike rack, but a second welder informed me that it would be a very difficult, expensive job. So, failing that, I am hoping that I can attach an outside ladder where I can fasten at least one bike. The question is: is the trailer frame reinforced for the installation of a ladder. Anybody done this?????
I'm wondering why any one would want a ladder on a fun finder you can haul anything on the roof..I go on my roof once or twice a year to clean it and thats about it.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #11

Default Ladder on Funfinder

I am assuming you meant to say "you can't haul anything on the roof". It was never my intent to use the roof to carry or store something. If you have a ladder, it not only gives you access to the roof for cleaning etc., but you can purchase a bracket that attaches to the ladder. That allows you to hang a bike on the ladder. The construction of the Funfinders that do not have bumpers do not allow any additional stress on the spare tire holder for carrying, nor is there sufficient frame under the coach to install a bike rack receiver.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 AM   #12

Default Re: Ladder on Funfinder

Quote:
I am assuming you meant to say "you can't haul anything on the roof". It was never my intent to use the roof to carry or store something. If you have a ladder, it not only gives you access to the roof for cleaning etc., but you can purchase a bracket that attaches to the ladder. That allows you to hang a bike on the ladder. The construction of the Funfinders that do not have bumpers do not allow any additional stress on the spare tire holder for carrying, nor is there sufficient frame under the coach to install a bike rack receiver.

Yeah i sure wish i had a bike carrier Ive been calling cruiserrv to find out if it can get the hitch or what ever they use to mount the bike carrier but the lady that answers the phone just transfers me to voice mails all the time and no one ever calls me back Ive even been trying to get a replacement decal for my front window cuz that fun finder x sticker cureled up and flaked off i finder taking it off and left the x since thats all that wasnt messed up but it sure looks naked but like i said i cant ever get hold of any one there for help.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #13

Default Funfinder Ladder

Hi Queball,

Yeah I hear ya. It is extremely frustrating to get anyone. I did give a couple of email addresses on this thread a bit back. Tom Peck is one. I have found him to be very responsive when I finally got through to him. I have pretty well given up on a bike rack for my FF. There are two options: One, on the roof, and two on the front bumper of the TV. I think there are fuel consumption issues on either of these, and I don't want to be using any more fuel at todays prices.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #14

Just a small clarification on my last thread. When I said "on the roof" I was referring to the TV, not the trailer. You can purchase single or dual bike racks that fasten onto the roof rack of a vehicle. The bike stands up, creating some drag, I think. One would not think it would be that great, but I have read that this configuration can lower increase your fuel consumption by 2-3 MPG.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #15

I know this thread is idle, but I was planning on putting a bike rack on a hitch mount and a roof rack. By the sounds of this thread, I'd be nuts to do that. Any thoughts or updates? On this thread
2008 189FBR
Squamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #16

Before mounting anything on a FF, consider how they are made. The FFx 189FBR that we have is very light construction. The walls and roof have very thin aluminum tubing for framing overlaid on both sides with very thin sheeting material, paneling on the inside and composite on the outside. Foam is sandwiched in between, None of this is very strong when it comes to bolting things on.

You can SEE how thin the tubing is by removing one of your dome lights. In our case, the wiring for the dome lights runs through the tubing and there is a cut in the tubing to let the wire out for the light. You can peek in and see it how thin it is.

Also, near the toilet, remove the small cover that hides the reinforcing plate for the spare tire and see how they mounted it....it could be better. On mine there is a plate of plywood with blind nuts mounted on it to receive the bolts from the tire mount. Someday it will all work loose and must be monitored.

Anything you mount on the outside of the trailer that will hold weight and be subject to vibration and wind force, should be mounted with reinforcing plates like the spare tire and it should be very well sealed against leakage.

So... mounting stuff is tempting, but should be done very carefully.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #17

AC ducts running through the ceiling as well as wiring. Risky drilling in to or through. Same thing with walls. A challenge, but not impossible. Bike rack hitch mount-make sure the bumper will hold.
Just my two cents worth.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #18

With respect to a ladder, instead of bolting one on, I choose to get a telescoping ladder from Amazon. It cost about $75 and it is portable and fits inside one of the closets. I've used it a couple of times and for what it is, it worked well and best of all, I can use it for other things since it is not attached to the camper.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #19

I also use a telescoping ladder both around the house and with the camper. They work great and take very little space when collapsed.