Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #1

Default Lap sealant vs Eternabond tape?

Sorry to revisit an old topic but I am facing having to reapply lap sealant to all the needed places on the roof. The RV repair shop wants $800 just to clean and cover the old sealant with new. I figure I can do this myself on my 18 ft travel trailer. I have seen several videos of folks applying Eternabond tape over the old sealant and then a thin bead of DiCor around the edges.The claim is that it lasts longer and is much better. My concern is what happens if the tape needs to be removed? Does anyone have any thoughts about using tape vs just sealant?

CRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #2

If properly applied, the Eternabond tape will last at least as long as the roof. The tape is designed to take care of larger cracks/tears in the rubber roof. The thing about the tape is that you must remove ALL of the old sealant and clean thoroughly with denatured alcohol but it is about the best product out there.

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L w/towing package
dhyravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #3

Default eternabond

Sounds like I should stay with lap sealant for all the normal seams and just use the tape for tears to the roofing.I saw several people on line taping right over all the old lap sealant.
CRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:05 AM   #4

I've used on the main cap seam, but I did have to address that area again a few years later. The shop redid it with lap sealant.

I've also used it on minor tears and around other smaller vent openings, and it's worked great.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #5

Default Different uses?

Isn't lap sealant applied with a caulking gun or even poured or applied with a brush? This allows it to flow on/over uneven surfaces and around edges (skylights, vent covers, etc.). Stays soft/pliable even when "dry", at all temps.
The eternabond tape is a great product for tears in the roofing material.
Two different products for two different uses?
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote