Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #1

Default LED Light Conversion

Earlier this spring I jumped in with about $100 and converted my incandescents over to LEDs in order to save on the battery, and I must say that after boondocking for four days over the Memorial Day weekend that they do make a huge difference in energy consumption. I provided the info in another post about where I got them (great prices for the "natural" color!) and have included it again below:

Photo #1:
I replaced all my incandescent light bulbs this spring with LEDs..this is a 120-lumen CR-90 natural white wedge bulb..uses 1.75 in 10v to 30v range (part #W9.RV2N from prudentrver.com for $11.98 ) I use these in the double fixtures for reading (shelves, etc). For overheads I use the stronger 200-lumen #W9.RV3N (2.9 watt) for $12.98 )

Photo #2: both LED
The trajectory of the two wedge bulbs (look like paddles) is a more downward pattern rather than outward..not a problem with light output..actually have less outward glare to the eye..the "natural" color is very lifelike: neither too yellow nor too white

Photo #3: Shelf
View of shelf with the 120-lumen bulbs...for the overheads I use stronger 200-lumen bulbs (see picture #1 for bulb info)

Photo #4: Comparison
This shows you the difference in the pattern..the LCD wedge bulb is more downward while the incandescent bulb on right throws more light outward on the sides, BUT but are equally bright when viewed from a distance, just have differing trajectories (this photo is color-corrected to eliminate the yellow of the incandescent..I wanted to show only light output)

oh...and, of course, I totally forgot one double fixture altogether....it's never over....

2005 Sun Cruiser Fun Finder X-139FK
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (Winston)
Cadillac Sedan de Ville V8 (Great White Whale)
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Site Team

I have those same LEDs and love them. Based on your photos the term "natural light" must mean they are somewhere around the 3000K range which is close pretty close to an incandescent bulb. They also call it "warm white".

Another nice feature is that they should last for something like 20,000 hours. I doubt you'll ever need to replace a bulb again!

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #3

The stronger 200-lumen bulbs are rated at 3800K (I used those in the kitchen double-fixture and all the double overheads...they are really nice and bright). The softer ones I used in the shelf lights are the 3000K bulbs. The color is very clear with no yellow...the yellow didn't show up well in the last picture, but the difference is remarkable. I never liked the hazy yellow "feel" of the incandescents...in fact, I've always carried a portable Ott-Lite for reading.....won't have to now!

2005 Sun Cruiser Fun Finder X-139FK
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (Winston)
Cadillac Sedan de Ville V8 (Great White Whale)
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #4

Default LED Lights

Thank you for the information. I have been wanting to do this but didn't want to spend the money without knowing how well they worked.

Marigold
189 FB FF
marigold1953 is offline   Reply With Quote